G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Modulator
22,239 Posts
Well....

There was a large scale Tsunami promised years ago, never materialized. The HO versions are out. They are made by SoundTraxx. (I waited on this product for at least 4 years, not buying any sound cards)

The QSI board is manufactured by QS Industries (QSI), and oem'd to QSI Solutions, owned by Tony Parisi of Tony's Train Exchange.

There is no relationship between the companies nor hardware.

The entire HO Revolution (QSI) sound library will be migrated to the large scale hardware. There are also hardware updates/enhancements in line for the QSI board as you know it, and also another form factor to plug and play into a USAT loco.

Here's the QSI plug and play for Aristo and Bachmann locos:

Here is the same hardware with the universal adapter board Magnum) which has no extra electronics, just screw terminals:

And here is the prototype hardware for USA Trains:

Adding the Gwire receiver to a QSI board gives you wireless DCC, which can be operated from the AirWire cabs, or the new NCE wireless cab.

Visit my site for more info, and also more pictures of the upcoming USAT version.

Regards, Greg

·
Super Modulator
22,239 Posts
I have had several revisions at my house at the same time. Slight differences and do not have a real history on that aspect.

Yep, NW-2 might have to solder and remote the switches, USAT has no socket, nor complete standardization.

The GP's, the SD's, the F unit, S4, PA's should be the first.

When you run DCC, the only switch I use would be the smoke unit... and I'd like to remote control that anyway.

We will see what transpires. I've given some input, had 4 of them here at once.

Regards, Greg

·
Super Modulator
22,239 Posts
I've not made a complete list of what will work, I need to look at the footprint of the locos. Basically, all locos that have the 4 switches across will "fit". The S4 has the same spacing, but the shell is narrower, so the little "wings" of circuit board you can see outboard of the outer 2 switches will be removed, then it fits the S4. I need to check the 44 tonners, I do have 2 of them myself! This will also match the switch hole spacing of the F3, but the F3 has one additional switch for a backup light.

Nothing that cannot be worked out. My current units are in a GP7/9, and 2 GP38-2's .

Regards, Greg

·
Super Modulator
22,239 Posts
KC, does your QSI have the orange polyswitch? The output transistors are rated for 5 amps, but the board cannot dissipate that.

You can also read back the temperature to see how it handles the load, but you have to calibrate the reading once. Once calibrated it's pretty accurate.

I agree with you, for the duties you seem to have for the cow and calf combination you will probably be fine.

The interesting thing that many people do not realize is that if you are pulling a load with a loco, and you are drawing 2 amps, adding a second loco to the SAME load will probably only total a bit over 2 amps for BOTH locos.

So, based on your usage and the above, I think you are fine.

Regards, Greg

·
Super Modulator
22,239 Posts
The Gwire is a radio receiver module that plugs into a QSI controller (which has brains, motor, light and sound)

The AirWire "receiver" has a radio receiver, motor and light controls. You add sound with another boards, like a Phoenx. (There is NO sound in an AirWire unit by itself).

The QSI also works on DC and on track power DCC (without needing the Gwire add on)

If you total the costs for motor control, lights, radio receiver AND sound, you will see that the QSI combination is much cheaper. It is also easier to use because you have to sort of run a "split" battery setup or add a regulator when you go over 18 volts in your battery system. The QSI will handle up to 35 volts.

Hope that helps.

Greg

·
Super Modulator
22,239 Posts
There's a picture of the throttle on this site. It looks just like my NCE wireless throttle, it just has new firmware to also work directly to a Gwire / Airwire.

It is much easier to use, in my opinion, but I would not say that you do not have to do CV settings. Any customization of the QSI will have to be done through CV's as usual.

Regards, Greg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.