G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Aristo Basic Train Engineer has been getting flaky. The other day my Aristo 040 slowed to a crawl no matter how many times, or how long I pressed the "go faster" button I could not get it faster. (I have not yet really figured out what kind of button pushing it wants!) I know it is the BTE, since when I hooked the track directly to the wall wart connector, the train promptly zipped around and derailed. 8^) I am not sure whether it is an RF or DC problem.

Anyway, I was wondering if any one knew of a PWM type power supply design. I think I can build that up a little faster than troubleshooting the BTE.

While a high power NMOS switching device would be good -- (I work as an RF engineer manufacturing High Power RF Tranistors. We make the used-to-be Motorola MRF150 (for any of you Hams) , which would be more than big enough for this supply - and I can get it really cheap, heh heh.) -- I am thinking that a high side PMOS switch is a better topography.

Are there any circuits out there already?

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
While not really intended for "Trackside" use, my Basic RailBoss R/C board would be a suitable replacement for the Aristo Basic TE. You would have to provide your own housing for it, and supply a cheap hobby radio, but it wouild be good for 5 amps instead of 2.5 amps, and also have the capability of automated station stops!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts