G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1/10th Scale 1875 Locomotive completly 3D printed.
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice that on some named locomotives that there is a period after the name.

Can anyone speak to this, and why it's there?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I did a quick Google search for "1875 locomotive" and saw a video from Dale (Toy Man TV) that features some older locos. Here is a still illustrating the question of the thread:
Train Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Mode of transport

Best,
Mike

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have been searching around a bit more for older US locos that were named in the early days. Any example I find that has a period after the name just happens to be a V&TRR loco. I'd be interested to see if any other roads did this. Jaxster, was the loco you saw a V&TRR loco as well?

-Mike

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been searching around a bit more for older US locos that were named in the early days. Any example I find that has a period after the name just happens to be a V&TRR loco. I'd be interested to see if any other roads did this. Jaxster, was the loco you saw a V&TRR loco as well?

-Mike
No. The question came from the locomotive I am building. The Avila, Illistrated by David Fletcher.
Train Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Locomotive

·
Registered
628 Posts
I see. Think of each letter and symbol as being contained in it's own box, that box is so many inches high and wide. The railroad and their painters use this technique to give the required standard spacing, so it doesn't look bunched up or too far apart. That's why the full stop looks further out from the name.

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Super Modulator
22,239 Posts
abbreviation is normally shortening of a word, not a period for second word in a phrase.

Must be some old time convention... look at all the weird capitalization in turn of the century (not 2000!) signs.

Greg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just had someone post some pictures showing how the "Period" was used in signage in the 1800's. Answers a lot as to what the practice was then.
Building Font Facade Retail Door

Building Rectangle Fixture Window Font

Building Font Wood Rectangle Art

·
Super Modulator
22,239 Posts
Actually, a period should terminate a proper sentence, maybe that was the thought, like the period "terminated" that piece of information, even though none of the examples are proper sentences.

Greg

·
Super Modulator
22,239 Posts
From the same reference:

An imperative sentence can be as short as one word, such as: "Go." Technically, a sentence must contain at least a subject and a verb, but in this case, the subject (you) is assumed and understood.
Just remember that not every one-word phrase is really a sentence.

You still need a subject and a verb, if the subject is implied, it's still "there"..

A proper name or noun has no verb, i.e. not a sentence.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Could it indicate an approximate date? "Cir. 1875" could indicate on or about 1875.
Check this definition for CIRCA.
Circa – circling around the abbreviation of an approximation in translation. “The Latin circa, meaning 'about', is used in English mainly with dates and quantities.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts