G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As stated on Large Scale Central, Jack Lynch is the new Communications Manager of Bachmann Corp.

Here are some specific requests of Jack to remedy some negative consumer decision points:

1) Please publicly advertise you offer spare parts - you decide what is most desired.

2) Please establish an on-line listing of which parts are actually available and can be ordered.

3) Please establish a "Repair/Parts Hot Line" with a dedicated phone number and technically savy humans to answer repair questions instead of consumers only having My Large Scale and Large Scale Central for repair analysis and remedies. If corporate insists on a phone charge so be it. Someone will discover an answer and thoughtfully publish it here.

4) Please work on quality control implementing what you know has worked for LGB. LGB's image of quality ultimately dwarfs any criticism of product appearances. Bachmann has the product appearances not the image of trusted quality.

Jack, best wishes on your new job and please keep us informed.

Thanks,
Wendell Hanks La Mirada, Ca

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Hi Wendell,

I'm only into my fourth week at Bachmann so I can't promise to change the world but I'll pass your suggestions along to the apporpriate people. In the meantime we do have an online parts ordering area on the website -
http://store.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=11
These are parts that are most frequently requested and constantly monitored and updated.
I believe that availability of specific parts will be determined by the time frame of the item's production run. In other words some of the more generic parts will almost always be available and some of the more specific items may be out of stock from tme to time.

The service department is always available to answer question:

Bachmann's Service Department is available from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm Eastern. The Service Department is closed between Noon and 12:45 for lunch. Customer Service for all scales can be reached at 800-356-3910. Each department has its own extension.
• Parts: Ext. 11 and 17
• Technical Support: Ext.12
• Repair Status: Ext. 13
• Customer Service Manager: Ext.18 (from our website- http://www.bachmanntrains.com/)

My experience over the last month has given me total confidence in the Bachmann organization. They are a first rate group of folks who care about the manufacturing and service of every one of their product lines. As you know I monitor most of the model railroad forums on the web and will keep tabs on everone's questions and concerns.

Jack

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Jack.

It's nice to know we have a "direct line" to you here.. I know you've been a part of our communiuty here for a while.

Lord knows I've got a lot Bachmann on my line.. been a fan for quite a while..
Best of luck in your new position and make us proud big fella...

Dave.

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
Jack,
The one undeniable thing about LGB was that it's products were always reliable performers! Bachmann has undeniably beautiful scale models and the K-27 is a superb example of what they can do. It's partially because we were used to LGB's internal quality that we have been so demanding of Bachmann! Politics aside, it's only good business to make sure that the quality and robustness of the product at least try to approach the level of the detailing! Some of these problems are, unfortunately, out of Bachmann's direct control (things like screws being loose etc...) but some of them aren't and must be addressed before the model is delivered to the general public! If this means a 4-5 month delay then so be it. Bachmann's reputation for reliability has taken some major hits over the last three Spectrum locomotives. People like TOC (and others) have devised "fixes" for these problems but the point is that most of them could have been avoided in the first place with some well planned Beta testing!!
Lastly, the Bachmann Marketing Dept.'s apparent policy of not acknowledging problems that have been discovered and trying to "bully" those of us that mention them (not to mention the outright obfuscation by certain people) into silence (and yes, a certain Bachmann rep. actually threatened that, if we kept up with our criticisms, Bachmann could and possibly would delay or even cancel large scale projects that were nearing release!) It's one thing to police your own factory website and to require aherence to company policy by employees and business partners but it is entirely another thing to demand it of one's customers!! This isn't a matter of libel or slander. It's about concerned customers wanting some questions answered before spending the better part of a thousand dollars to own a new Bachmann locomotive and then finding out that there are "problems" that need to be addressed!
Of course, I'm not telling you anything that you haven't already read in these threads but I would ask that you pass these concerns on up the line to whomever makes the decisions. I am a devoted Bachmann consumer. I have owned at least one of every new locomotive that has come out with the exception of the diesels and the 3-truck Shay (but that one is next on my list) and I have nearly 50 Bachmann freight and passenger cars in both 1:22.5 as well as Fn3 (1:20.3) so I believe I have a right to express my opinion and would hope that my "loyalty" to the brand would give my opinion some consideration in return. Bottom line: It's not enough to make something that is beautiful if it isn't reliable and having a couple of people say "That isn't so..." even though we are seeing visual proof to the contrary is NOT a proper response!
Please, use your experience at LGB to bring that company's greatest strength, it's reputation for product reliability, to Bachmann and you will have done your new company a great service! A company of Bachmann's stature putting out incredibly attractive scale models with comparable reliability would be unbeatable! Good luck.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Posted By Jerry Barnes on 01/25/2009 12:03 PM
Gee, FOUR items for sale in the large scale parts section. WOW!

Very good then that it's the parts I need

By the way, are the trucks sold as pairs?

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Jack,

I also liked your replay but I could not ignore your almost complete ignoring of the quality control problem.

I should not have to take my engines apart to check that the screws are secured properly or have to pay someome else todo that after I have spent a large amount of money on an engine.

I have noticed on the bachmann board that several questions about the new Mallet have been ignored by the Bachmann. Why is that? The review of the Mallet with its good points as well as some of its bad points was deleted. Why was that?

I buy bachmann cars and engines because I cannot afford the more expensive models but I still should be able to expect that what I buy will run reliably.

John

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jack,
Thanks for your response -- and singularly the most important feature is we have your willingness to communicate directly with us as MLS readers.
As to Steve Stockholm's response (above), he does connect with the likely frustrating business of how to ensure product reliability.
Again, if LGB's practices in ensuring a continued track record of quality can be borrowed, here's hopes that experience you had with LGB will be viewed by corporate heads as helpful.

Thanks again for your responses.
Wendell

1 - 11 of 11 Posts