G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a LGB Forney and the LGB American Sound Tender. The tender has a cable that is supposed to hook to the locomotive. The Forney does not have a connector for this cable. Is there any way I can use the tender with the Forney and get sound? I would think this locomotive would have a connection for the tender but I haven't found it. ANy suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
GW,

I'm suprised that the Forney does not have a "lighting connection" at the rear of the locomotive. The newer connections are square, and have a cover

on them that looks like a detail on the loco. Take a closer look at the back of the coal bunker. There should be a small rectangular shaped detail

with a small protrusion. If your loco has one, pull it out. Then look in the opening, and you will see two pins. The LGB lighting connectors plug

into this socket.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has the lighting connection on the rear of the Forney. There is also a lighting conneection on the rear of the tender but on the front of the tender there is a socket for a flat 5 pin connector and i cannot find a connector like this on the rear of the Forney. I think that this must be present to get the tender to make sound.

·
Premium Member
3,885 Posts
It is not a case of just getting power to the tender from the forney.
The 69232 sound tender with the 5 pin connector has all 5 wires used.
2 wires are for track power to go to the tender rear connector for lighting passenger cars attached to te tender.
2 wires are for the 5 volt rear light on the tender which is direction sensitive
1 wire for the sound unit, the other sound wire is from the 2 wires to the rear connector.
reason for this......The switch inside the engine controls lights and sound per the loco manual and these wires are connected to the switch via the 5 pin cable on the 2-4-0 over sized seamer.
I wired up the 5 pin connector as follows and changed the bulb to a 24 volt version.
I wired 1,2,4 together, then 3 and 5 for the other wire. Tender light will be on all the time, but adding a diode to the light wiring inside the tender can polarize the light for direction.
http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/DanPierce/69232wiring.JPG

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dan, thanks for that wiring diagragm. I am wondering couldn't I just make a adapter cable to connect the 5 pin to the lighting socket that is on the forney and make the necessary wiring changes inside the tender?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hooked up the wiring temporary with the exception of the rear light and just tapped off the track to the tender. Everything sounded and worked great. As soon as I make up a cable to adapt to the forney light socket I should be good to go.

·
Premium Member
3,885 Posts
GW, I made a 5 pin to 2 pin adapter cable, added a diode for the tender light to be on backing up only, and changed the bulb to 24 volts.

If I use the tender on a 2-4-0 engine, the 5 pin cable will still work properly and all I have to do is change the bulb to 5 volts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts