G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some train trading with a gentleman and got a slug of Kalamazoo stuff. I like the old Kal stuff as its what I remember as a kid for large scale. Anyhow, this gentleman got everything that was left at Kalamazoo after the Bankruptcy, all the unbuilt and partialy buit up stuff. I wanted one of the yellow/black 0-4-0's so he sent me one that was totaly filthy, had not been touched since the early 90's when Kalamazoo disappeared. He said he thought it might be a prototype engine. Upon recieving it and cleaning it up. Most of the parts are diecast metal or hand fabricated from Alum sheets. The power block is held in with 2 alum tabs with 2 bolts into tapped holes in the diecast chassis. The number "2" is neatly engraved in many locations on the engine. The headlight lacks the "K" in the circle ontop of the headlight barrel. There are also 3 long "pop" rivets holding the various layers of the diecast chassis together. The side sets up into the cab are diecast metal of some kind. The roof is a basic plastic sheet with what appears to be sand paper glued to it and a rivet strip detail glued to it. There is also a textured floor that was glued in the cab. It is peeling up from age, as is the edge of the roof. The wheels are solid metal backed, not the open spoke version and there is one traction tire on the rear axle. This basicly make it 3 wheel pickup, so it ran like crap, even after a full tear down and cleaning. I added some small Tomar brand pickup sliders to the bottom of the power block to slide on the track, this solved its running issues and she now runs smooth and slow. The side tanks infront of the cab are diecast and the windown frames feel like balsa wood. The front pilot steps are all hand fabricated from alum sheet metal. Here are some pics for you all to enjoy. Mike

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This engine was untouched for the last several years. Richard C. Sr has #1 in his collection, its in pieces either having never been assembled or taken appart to prepare the molds for the production series. I have not had my hands on a standard production Kalamazoo 0-4-0 in years. But the whole brown chassis you see in the pics is diecast metal of some kind. The black side steps are metal. Only the boiler, cab, roof and rear tender, stack and headlight are plastic, the rest is all metal. Ther power block is the standard Kalamazoo power block, identical to my 2 4-4-0's I got from Richard that are in kit form. All the freight cars needed some amount of assembly and cleaning. Cheers Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts