G Scale Model Train Forum banner
61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 · (Edited)
So are those the NW2 trucks, modified, or what?

Greg
They are MW2 blocks and NOT modified ,,yet.
Currently they are unmodified and can handle a R3 curve like they are, but bind and derail on a R2 , So may have to round the top corners of the blocks a bit to navigate R2 curves as there is no more room up in the body for the blocks to swivel any more.
R1 is completely out of the picture with this setup.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
What happened between this:

and this:

Is it the same and just cannot see through with the darker background?

Greg
the new frame design, lowers the engine by 3/8 " by allowing the blocks to go up and recess inside of the shell.
The difference between the two images is with the new design, the body now sits 3/8" lower which looks closer to reality. However this design limits the degrees that the blocks can swivel .

·
Super Modulator
21,610 Posts
That's sort of what I was trying to say in post #60, you needed to get the bearing surface up "higher" into the chassis, well done.

How close to prototype height did it come out? Looks much better to me.

Greg

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
After looking at other photos , i realized that i have set it too low so i raised it back up a hair.
And i will remake the plow so that it looks more accurate and is closer to the track.
But first, i need to figure out a way to stretch those bogie sides by about 1/4 inch.

·
Super Modulator
21,610 Posts
Is there room?

By the way, I don't remember offhand, but some of the USAT motor blocks have the axles riding right in the motor block plastic, as opposed to the metal bushings. Keep those axles well lubed, I use the heavy gear oil by Hob-E-Lube, it seems to stick in place better than grease.

Looking good!

Greg

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 · (Edited)
Is there room?

By the way, I don't remember offhand, but some of the USAT motor blocks have the axles riding right in the motor block plastic, as opposed to the metal bushings. Keep those axles well lubed, I use the heavy gear oil by Hob-E-Lube, it seems to stick in place better than grease.

Looking good!

Greg
Great Tip Thank You. I'll check that out! That's is what i need.

Ive been having trouble finding plastic safe greases that actually stick to gears.
NAPA Sil-Glyde is useless as it separates so badly.
Toyota makes a lithium soap based glycol grease which is really good but hard to find.
I did find, locally, a brake caliper paste grease that is safe for plastics and rubber that is very sticky but it is red. i would rather have white.

·
Super Modulator
21,610 Posts
There is a gear gel that works and does not throw off. Believe it or not sold by bachmann #190 and Aero Gel (great stuff) ACT-11 NG Jel. It's purple.

here's a page on what I have learned with lubricants:

Greg

61 - 80 of 103 Posts