G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Quick update.. If considering doing this.... DO NOT use Krylon Plastic Fusion on this model. the paint is way too hot for this plastic.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Decided to do a Burlington Northern color scheme but BN green is a really difficult color to match locally in a rattle can. i went with this weird smelling Martha Stewart green color from Michael's craft store. It looks like john deer green in this picture but its not

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Kind of a incomplete manufacturing process on the rear windows

Attempting to correct somewhat.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
A little progress today , putting the visors on the headlamps and some painting. will work on the side windows next.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Finishing up some detail on the Cab. I have decided not to detail the inside. ( have way to many bent pens holding stuff in place )

I do not know what i am going to do for decals.
Was quoted a price of 40 dollars for setup and 40 for each additional sheet. Thats too much for me.
Might have to try and make some tape stencils.
The strobe is temporary until i can find a proper size amber globe facsimile.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Got the grab bars in on the high side and put some eyelets on the top access panels

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Some have asked about the grab bars and ladder runs
Basically they are just K&S brass wire (can be found at most ACE hardware stores) but any apporpreate sized hard wire will do.
Under the wire is a shaped head pin from the bead making aisle in walmart.
Small holes are drilled in the plastic and the wire is glued, inserted and folded over on the backside.
Harbor freight has needle drill bits. they are very fragile so pick up a extra pack.
(conversely you can clip the sharp end off of a needle and use it as a bit, it actually works pretty good.)
If you use them with a power drill make sure the drill can go down to "0" bit size.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
The New-Ray railing and stanchions are a bit fat and toyish looking. I am thinking about making my own, and while i have the materials on hand it would mean a lot of work and time.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
While not perfect.. i think the new railing and stanchions look more scale than the plastic ones. Lots left to do in this area.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Picked up these cheap LED Christmas lights at the local Wal-Mart while i was getting my prescription. They will work fine for the main lights I guess.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Major error here. Can you spot it?

if you said access door is incorrect... You'd be right

Ugly fix. ive decided to not try and move the louvers because it would be just too difficult.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts