G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried including two pictures in a post - both pictures are stored on my mls webpage.

When I initially tried to hit the 'return' key on the keyboard (which in all other forums moves the cursor to the next line) to create a space between the pictures, the picture I had already inserted was just deleted.

I then tried to simply add a second picture, but all it did was delete the first one and brought up the second one. I couldn't insert two pictures in the same post.

General question - is anyone fixing any of the bugs and quirks in this forum?
Quoting still requires odd manipulation using arrow keys - don't know what else because I have essentially stopped posting on mls since the forum became so user unfriendly and awkward to use.

knut

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Knut

First off, you didn't specify what browser & version you were using when you encountered the problem. However, from the way you've described the symptoms I figure that you are using FireFox.

In the first instance, re: attempting to use the "Return/Enter" key to insert a blank line between the bottom of the first picture and the top of the second picture.

I'm assuming that you had just finished inserting the first picture into your reply, using either the "insert Image" or "Image Gallery" feature, meaning that the dialog had cleared and the focus had returned to the editor's content area. If at this point you tapped the Return/Enter key without doing anything else, I can well understand why the picture was removed.

When I'm using FireFox v3.0.3, for whatever the reason is, after I insert the picture into the reply and the dialog clears and focus returns to the editor's content area. FireFox doesn't show that the image is selected (i.e. by displaying the re-sizing handles), and if I simply tap the "Return/Enter" key without doing anything else before I do, the image is replaced by the newly inserted line. Much in the same way that "selected text" will be replaced by the next keystroke. To prevent this from happening, after the focus returns to the content area the first thing you need to do is left-click somewhere to the right of the image to de-select it and then tap the "Return/Enter" key twice to place a blank line between the first & second pictures.

I don't rightly see this as an inadequacy in the MLS software, simply further confirmation that different browsers written by different individuals, interpret the exact same software and do things in different ways. This has always be so and I think it very likely that it will always remain so.

As to the "general question" regarding anyone fixing known problems. The answer is yes, Shad is and has always been actively pursuing the correction of known problems. However, as with any software written by someone else you're always at the mercy of the original software developer's schedule and priorities.

Addressing your last comment regarding the "Quoting" of a reply, I agree that it would make matters easier if the quote box were displayed in the editor's content area, but as yet it isn't (one of those instances of having to rely on the developer mentioned above). However, I don't find it all that difficult to make sure my reply is always outside the quote. I simply left-click somewhere within the content area and then use the keyboard key combination {Ctrl+End} to move the insertion point cursor to the very bottom, outside the quote.

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
Hi Knut,
let me see if I can replicate your problem..see what is going on..

I hit the "insert image" button:

ok..I think I know what is happening..
after you insert the image, it is still "highlighted"..you will see little black squares around the outside of the photo..
if you then just hit enter, it deletes the photo..

you have to put your cursor in the lower right corner of the pic, then hit enter..
then you should go "down a line" and the first photo wont disappear..

you are " deselecting" the photo..where you see the little squares surrounding the photo..use the mouse to place
the cursor to the side (right side) of the lower right black square..
exact placement is unimportant..just generally to the right of the square..
then "left click" the mouse..the squares should disappear, hit enter, and you can continue.

personally I am still just inserting the IMG tags by hand! ;)
typing out: [ img] [ /img] then pasting in the image URL between the tags..
just because thats how I have always done it, from before the upgrade..
I find it much easier..but thats just me..

·
Premium Member
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank-you for both of your replies.

I was sure there was a way of inserting two or more images on mls, I just don't have the time and patience to try and discover all the special ways the new mls forum software works.
It's unfortunately the odd man out in the way it handles user input compared to the different forums I visit.

As to browsers, I actually use Camino on the Mac, simply because it's the fastest in rendering pages and it gives me the features I need.
The whole idea of the web and standardized HTML code was to make it independant of the browser used - unfortunately Microsoft with Internet Explorernever followed the standard and it being the 800 lb gorilla got away with it in the past.
But times are changing - IE is slowly but surely loosing browser marketshare and they have now changed their attitude it seems - IE 8 will actually conform to the latest browsers standard test whereas none of the earlier versions of IE have before.

In any case - I really appreciate the quick and detailed reply, thanks,

knut

·
Premium Member
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A follow-up...............

I just posted another picture into a new post on mls.
Again from the mls webpage using the window that comes up - selecting the photograph and double-clicking on it (or hitting 'insert') - either one works fine the way it should be.

The picture at that point is actually not selected or highlighted - one has to click on the picture to select it.

But at that point, with the picture selected, I would have expected it to be deleted if I hit the 'delete' key not when I hit the return key - but I can also see where Steve is coming from - he says it's basically the same as selecting and highlighting a section of text and then hitting the return key.

BTW - if you click outside, to the right of the picture and then hit the return key, you get the extra line insert.

It's just that the mls forum wopks different from any other forum I got to which makes it awkward to use.

Knut

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Posted By krs on 03/30/2009 10:26 AM
{snip...}[/i] The picture at that point is actually not selected or highlighted - one has to click on the picture to select it. {snip...}[/i]
Knut

It doesn't appear to be selected, because there are no re-sizing handles displayed, but in fact it is which is demonstrated by the fact that when you tap the Return/Enter key the image is replaced by the new line. I would bet that if you simply taped one of the alpha keys the image would be replaced by whatever character it was you happened to press.

What it indicates to me is that your browser just like FireFox isn't interpreting the return from the server and/or the JavaScript correctly thus it doesn't display the image re-sizing handles as it should, even though the image is selected. However if you manually click the image locally the re-sizing handles are displayed.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Knut

Hopefully some of what Scot and I put forth was helpful.

As for the standardization of INTERNET protocols, you sure wouldn't know it or prove it by all the going-ons at and/or between the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), International Organization for Standardization (Organisation internationale de normalisation, aka ISO), International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) and known jointly as ISO/IEC Joint Technical Committee 1 (ISO/IEC JTC1), and would that be the SGML-based or XML-based HTML, interpreted under which of the three Document Type Definition (DTD), Strict, Transitional, or Frameset.

For heaven's sake, if a quote taken from a report on the December 2007 meeting of the ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34/WG1, attributed to Martin Bryan the outgoing Convenor is any indication of direction. I think just the oppsite of what you've stated is true.

Quote By: Martin Bryan
The disparity of rules for PAS, Fast-Track and ISO committee generated standards is fast making ISO a laughing stock in IT circles. The days of open standards development are fast disappearing. Instead we are getting 'standardization by corporation'.

·
Premium Member
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Posted By SteveC on 03/30/2009 11:23 AM

What it indicates to me is that your browser just like FireFox isn't interpreting the return from the server and/or the JavaScript correctly thus it doesn't display the image re-sizing handles as it should, even though the image is selected. However if you manually click the image locally the re-sizing handles are displayed.

OK - I'll put a bug report in - Camino (which I use) uses the same rendering engine as Firefor, the old Netscape Navigator and a half a dozen of other browsers.
Be interesting what they say - I may however have a hard time getting them to take me seriously since this mls page alone shows 133 errors and 77 warnings when I run it through the W3C validator.

But...nothing ventured, nothing gained.

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
OK - I'll put a bug report in - Camino (which I use) uses the same rendering engine as Firefor, the old Netscape Navigator and a half a dozen of other browsers.
Be interesting what they say - I may however have a hard time getting them to take me seriously since this mls page alone shows 133 errors and 77 warnings when I run it through the W3C validator.

Been working on that with the forum upgrade I'm working on.. Problem is, it'll never be 100% compliant.. There are too many other variables.. What's funny, is so many browsers are all based on the same rendering engine, but many display things differently... Ultimately what we have to do is aim for the most common browsers.. IE, Firefox, and to some degree Safari..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts