G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem with many threads on this site when I open them... the window seems to populate with the text and images, and then it blanks out, leaving nothing in the window. Seems to happen to me mostly with the threads about posting images.

I have to reload/refresh the thread many times before it 'sticks'.

Sometimes I have to refresh the page and then click the 'stop' button on the right end of the address text box at "just the right moment" and then I can read the content.

Sometimes the page gets locked-up somehow (won't refresh at all) and I have to close it and re-open it and start over trying to get it to not blank out.

Is that happening to anyone else?

P.S. Greg - Sorry about the derail in the other thread, I was just in "conversation mode" and posted my frustration in that other thread, leading to the derailment. Thanks for the reply.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Yes, two of my local friends are reporting the same thing.
I am NOT having any issues with my Mac.
Is it a PC, or Windows thing?
Regards,
David Leech, Delta, Canada

·
Super Modulator
20,519 Posts
I was going to ask try it with a different browser.

Does it do it with Edge?

What plugins do you have in IE? Is your IE up to date with latest flash? Java?

Greg

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
I'm having the same trouble. My "Favorite" couldn't get me in to the active forums, so I wrote in a simple "largescale.com" and got the old Home page. I logged in and was taken to the normal home page, but wasn't logged in. So I logged in again, clicked on this thread and it flashed before my eyes, then got a blank white screen, then some odd error screen.

I went thru the entire double-home process again and whooppeee!!! it stuck.

I'm running IE-11 on a three year old desktop with Windows 7 Home Premium (whatever that means) and a terabyte hard drive - this is not a Commodore I'm running. And, I don't think we users should have to explain ourselves. I don't expect to have to try Firefox or Edge (that's another browser, right?), plug out our plugins or up date our flashes. It doesn't matter what equipment we're running. I have two sites of my own and they work with anything this side of a TRS-80. I suggest we all get together and come up with $60; that'll pay for a year's service from the provider I use. Or...is there a site where we can all voice our complaints publicly about the rotten service we're getting from Vwhatsis?

JackM

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
After posting #5 I went back to active forum list, clicked on something, got it for a split second, then blank white page and a little spinny thing going round and round. Typed in "mylargescale.com" and got the old home page. I was still logged in. Went to active forums, clicked on some topic, got the flash, then blank page. Went round and round a couple more times. Giving up. I'll try tomorrow.

Maybe I should spend some time on one of the cars. At least I know when I open the hood, the motor will still be there.

JackM

·
Super Modulator
20,519 Posts
Jack, I'm a little confused about your part in red below.

If you are mad at the site managers, I can understand.

But it was ME that asked these questions, and yes, you don't have to answer these questions, just like I don't have to help anyone here on the forum.

In any case, if you are having issues, and other people are not (with the same hardware and software0, it's really most likely your computer. Plugins can block ads, and sometimes if the site detects you trying to block ads, it will "show you" and block the page.

So, I hope you understand that, as bad as the site is, this is most likely your computer setup.

Greg

I'm having the same trouble. My "Favorite" couldn't get me in to the active forums, so I wrote in a simple "largescale.com" and got the old Home page. I logged in and was taken to the normal home page, but wasn't logged in. So I logged in again, clicked on this thread and it flashed before my eyes, then got a blank white screen, then some odd error screen.

I'm running IE-11 on a three year old desktop with Windows 7 Home Premium (whatever that means) and a terabyte hard drive - this is not a Commodore I'm running. And, I don't think we users should have to explain ourselves. I don't expect to have to try Firefox or Edge (that's another browser, right?), plug out our plugins or up date our flashes. It doesn't matter what equipment we're running. I have two sites of my own and they work with anything this side of a TRS-80. I suggest we all get together and come up with $60; that'll pay for a year's service from the provider I use. Or...is there a site where we can all voice our complaints publicly about the rotten service we're getting from Vwhatsis?

JackM

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had to go away for a while, but now I am back to do more experimenting...

I had trouble even accessing this thread this time. Then it worked okay and has not failed to open properly in dozens of refreshes of the page. I opened another thread and it failed.

So I ran Edge. Had to log-in again since the two browsers do not share cookies. So far I have not experienced a failure using Edge.

So I assume at this point that it is an incompatibility with I.E. and something that is randomly showing up on the web page (a rotating advert maybe?)

But I am one of those 1st class members that should not see adverts. But maybe it senses that one is to be displayed before it decides to not display it, and "punishes" me for using a method to block adverts before it decides to not display the advert.

I suppose that those having trouble might be subscribers to one of the ad-blocking services that update the Hosts file to block advertising and they have the same site blocked as I do. I do NOT subscribe to one of those services, but maintain the Hosts file myself by adding names to it when I discover an obnoxious advertiser, although I have not updated it in nearly a year, so I am doubting that is the cause.

But (again), I think both I.E. and Edge share the use of the Hosts file, so I would expect the same behavior in both if that were the case.

·
Super Modulator
20,519 Posts
I should not see advertisements, since I am at least a "Gold" lifetime member... but I see them if I drop my Adblock Plus and Ghostery.

I figured the no ads thing would not last.

By the way, using the hosts file to redirect stuff is really old technology, rarely used and rarely effective.

Ads are getting more sophisticated.. but the bottom line if Edge works and IE does not, then you have your answer. IE is only there for some backwards compatibility, and IE is going away.

In my opinion, you should use something safer anyway, I like Firefox since it is not owned by Google (Chrome) or Microsoft (Edge, IE) or Apple (Safari).

There is a rich set of plugins for FF that will make it so you don't see junk. I have 3 running and have ZERO problems, and this is on about 10 computers. (Yes I own 10 computers, I'm a sick puppy)

Greg

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

JackM
JackM: It is not a matter of explaining ourselves, but there are so many different computer systems and a near infinite array of different configurations even amongst identical hardware sets that it is helpful to ask what is being used so that a plan of attack to fix the problem can be formulated.

If all the hardware AND software were identical then we would all have the same problems and it would be lots easier to fix them, but we don't and so we have to ask what configurations are problematic. Even within the code for websites, the programmer has to detect which browser is installed and branch to different code to handle the different ways they each perform some functions... and not all programmers are fully (or even slightly) aware of the little nuances that can royally screw-up a simple program. There ARE "Standards" but not all the programmers that created the various browsers interpret those Standards in the same way and there is a lot of "I know a better way" that goes on too and that can create some strange results when yet another programmer sticks his pinkies into the pie to get his concept of a web page across many browsers and operating systems. (I never cease to be amazed that any of this stuff works at all!)

As for your Favorite not getting you in and then entering the short "original" URL address and having to log-in again... the old "home page" is no longer associated with the actual new forum pages... they just have the same beginning, and there are now TWO databases that keep track of users and passwords and they are not synchronized and have nothing to do with each other. So logging in or out of either has no effect on the other. And changing your password on one does NOT change it on the other.

MLS has become a farce as far as us loyal users are concerned... it just seems to be a cash cow for the new owners and they do not seem to have much care about it at all. To be fair, the old/original site had problems too, but at least Shad saw it as "his baby" and treated it as such most of the time... those of us that remember those times are disheartened at the state of affairs now, but I don't see it improving much in the future... make the best of it and move on with life as best as we can.

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
Jack M wants all y'all to know he's frustrated and not angry with anybody. Seems he couldn't get back here to let you know.
Passing it on for JackM
John

·
Super Modulator
20,519 Posts
It sounds like he needs some real help on the computer. Time to pay for a tuneup or get a (knowledgeable) friend. A quick and dirty is to install a different browser, sounds like he has some corruption or configuration issues. Could be something as simple as flash, old browser version, etc.

Greg

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well... I AM angry, but not with Jack or any of the members here. It is the level of care by the owners of this site that have me steaming.

I feel for Jack's frustration, because I am frustrated too, and I am very knowledgeable about computers and I am having all sorts of troubles with this site. I can well imagine the frustration of those that are "just users" of computers (no insult intended). It is too bad that the problem that Jack has is unhelpable via this site because it is this site that is being so screwy.

We can make the assumption that he is running Windows and using Internet Explorer since that is where the problem seems to manifest itself. If he is running Windows 10 (not a safe assumption) we could say to start using Edge and not have to install anything (and the frustration that entails), but he'd have to get used to the silly "alterations" that Edge did to the browsing experience. (another bunch of those 'Better ideas' by some idiot programmers!)

I don't like Edge because of several of the changes it has and, early on, it caused all sorts of troubles with several sites I frequent, so I went back to I.E.-11 and am generally satisfied with it... except for this particular fiasco with Vertical Scope's bumbling of things.

If I lived anywhere near Jack, I'd be more than willing to go to his house and "FIX" that computer for him and help him with any computer problem he has. I do that a lot for my friends and family and a couple of charities' offices and I don't charge for my time, travel or troubles. I do require the person I am helping to contribute to solving the problem by being there and answering my questions and showing that they are learning from it... I am not the "refrigerator repairman" that you show to the appliance and walk away.

·
Super Modulator
20,519 Posts
OK, went to IE on windows 10... blank screen.

So, IE is crap, what is new? Everyone is obsoleting IE.

Sorry guys, you cannot stay stuck in the past. If you want to, all you can do is stomp your feet and curse. Won't change that virtually NO ONE is formally supporting IE anymore on web sites...

Greg

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I often say, "You can lay down on the floor and kick and scream, but all that does is entertain the rest of us!"

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
I should not see advertisements, since I am at least a "Gold" lifetime member... but I see them if I drop my Adblock Plus and Ghostery.

I figured the no ads thing would not last.
Greg, I am on FF and I have no ad-blockers loaded, and I see no ads, other than RLD's at the top of the page.

·
Super Modulator
20,519 Posts
Yeah, that ad was what I was referring to... one is different from none. :p

I can block that one too... maybe it was always there, have been blocking everything for so long, don't remember what it is like to not run them.

Greg

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It seems as though someone fixed the problem with blanking the window in I.E.! I have been able to open several threads all day today without it happening (I forgot to use Edge for accessing MLS and it is working!)

THANK YOU!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts