G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Aster C&S Mogul, newly assembled from kit (so something may be out of kilter). I cannot get it to fire up. I can occasionally, with a lot of luck and with the gas valves turned right down, get the fire to pop back into the firetube, but it won't stay lit. I understand this engine has a bit of a reputation (See for example the thread on "Are Aster engines finicky?" in this forum in February 2008.) I have read the articles in SitG 63 and 65 (I do not have the issues earlier than 58.), but if anybody can suggest a solution that does not involve physically rebuilding the engine, I shall be very grateful.

·
Registered
17 Posts
RE: Problem firing Aster C&S Mogul

Contact Norm Saley in Florida.
I have one of these, same issue originally.
They "innovated" with liquid fuel from the tank in the tender to the "expansion tank" where the fireman would have resided.
Sometimes they work, sometimes they do not.

Norm rebuilds them witha Roundhouse valve off the top (vapour) of the tender tank and does away with the fireman's expansion tank.

Mine works fine now.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
I also have a Norm Saley converted Aster Mogul and it runs like a champ...albeit like a really fast champ!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Well, I have succeeded in getting both fire and steam (Thanks, Zubi) but no motion. There is no indication that any steam is reaching the cylinders. Clearly I need to do some air testing. However, I can see no way to get air into the system except where the water hose from the tender connects to the water feed check valve. That appears to be an M6x0.75 metric fine thread, for which of course I do not have the correct die. (I would need to fabricate an M6x0.75 male to Schraeder male adapter, but I am assuming that at the Schraeder end I can get away with a plain 5/16" OD tube.) Does anybody have a better idea?

·
Premium Member
2,668 Posts
Hi Hblancow,
I usually have tested my chassis during construction by placing my tapered plastic end of my little compressor fitting to the steam 'tee'.
It means that one hand has to hold it in place while you help the wheels turn etc..
If I recall, on the original Aster Schools assembly instructions, they even suggested attaching a bicycle pump to test the chassis.
Now I have also done the same by sticking the compressor nozzle in place of the safety valve, and that works too.
If you need both hands, perhaps you can find someone to help hold it in place, and keep an eye on the pressure gauge!
However, when testing on air the motion may seem a little 'lumpy' due to the fact that the air does not expand as the steam will, so if it runs okay on air, it will normally mean that it will run even better on steam.
Keep asking those questions and I am sure that with our help you will get it running just great.
Do you have any 'local' live steamers that can help you solve your problems?
All the best,
David Leech,
Delta, Canada

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Hi Hblancow,
I usually have tested my chassis during construction by placing my tapered plastic end of my little compressor fitting to the steam 'tee'.
*** If I recall, on the original Aster Schools assembly instructions, they even suggested attaching a bicycle pump to test the chassis. Now I have also done the same by sticking the compressor nozzle in place of the safety valve, and that works too.

No, I am using a car pump, but what I do have is the tapered plastic thingy for pumping up inflatable toys. It seems to be quite a good force fit into the water inlet, or I could use it to connect the pump to a bit of rubber tube that will fit the blowdown outlet. Since I seem to be hunting a totally blocked pipe, I don't need much pressure.
Do you have any 'local' live steamers that can help you solve your problems?

They all still seem to be in hibernation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts