G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes, when I try to Preview a reply, this message appears: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object".
What does this mean, and what can I be doing wrong? 

Thank you.

Rudy Allarde

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Rudy

You're not doing anything wrong. Sometimes, when you compose your reply (e.g. mostly when including images but not always) the HTML that is created in the background from what you are doing in the editor confuses the program when you use the Preview button located down toward the bottom of the screen and to the right of the Submit button. I get it many times too, There is another Preview button up in the full-text editor just to the right of the Source button. This preview won't show you exactly the same thing as the other but will let you see what things are looking like.

Most of the time when you get that error message in the lower preview when you Submit your reply and it gets posted everything works just fine.

I would suggest that if you are posting a lengthy reply and don't really relish having to type all that back in again, then before you click the Submit button.
[*]Click the Source button to switch the HTML code mode [*]Notice that the cursor (i.e. insertion point) will be located in the upper left corner. [*]Use the Select All {CTRL+A} keyboard sequence to select all of the text listed. [*]Next use the Copy to clipboard {CTRL+C} keyboard sequence, to make a temporary copy of the code in your local computer RAM. [/list]

That way if something goes wrong after you submit the reply for posting you've at least got a complete copy of what you had created and all is not lost.

For example when creating this reply to your posting, when I was finished I tried using the lower preview and received the same error that you described, yet the other one up on the editor's toolbar worked OK, and when I posted it it worked.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts