G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used Accucraft Mortimer, I broke the glass on the pressure gauge, and I tried to steam the train, but obviously, I can't tell the pressure, but the locomotive didn't run. I wonder if this is because of the broken gauge?

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
I just bought a used Accucraft Mortimer, I broke the glass on the pressure gauge, and I tried to steam the train, but obviously, I can't tell the pressure, but the locomotive didn't run. I wonder if this is because of the broken gauge?
I suspect something else in the problem. The gauges I'm familiar with should work even if the glass is broken. Steam pressure gauges are typically based on a bourdon tube - a sealed curved tube that straightens as pressure increases. Through a linkage this turns the dial. Broken glass could stop the gauge working if it interferes with the mechanism but this alone won't stop the pressure building and the locomotive from working unless the tube has been broken.. Nevertheless you should replace the gauge....

Is steam leaking from the gauge?

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suspect something else in the problem. The gauges I'm familiar with should work even if the glass is broken. Steam pressure gauges are typically based on a bourdon tube - a sealed curved tube that straightens as pressure increases. Through a linkage this turns the dial. Broken glass could stop the gauge working if it interferes with the mechanism but this alone won't stop the pressure building and the locomotive from working unless the tube has been broken.. Nevertheless you should replace the gauge....

Is steam leaking from the gauge?
Before broken, I saw some water precipitation in the gauge. Then, I decided to remove and clean it, but during the process, the glass was broken. The reason water precipitate in the glass is probably due to the overfilling of the boiler. Regardless of this broken pressure gauge, the locomotive never run even I observe strong pressure released from the safety valve. I am not sure if Accucraft tested the locomotive before sending it to me. I am in contact with them to return for service.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Almost certainly, as the pipe to the gauge is from the boiler and without the glass there will be no pressure in the boiler.
I would suggest contacting your Accucraft dealer and getting a replacement.
Almost certainly, as the pipe to the gauge is from the boiler and without the glass there will be no pressure in the boiler.
I would suggest contacting your Accucraft dealer and getting a replacement.
I also think similarly, but when I discussed that with Accucraft service people, they didn't say anything. They asked me to send back for fixing. I think I can replace the pressure gauge, thus it saves me a lot of time not sending the locomotive back there again.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also think similarly, but when I discussed that with Accucraft service people, they didn't say anything. They asked me to send back for fixing. I think I can replace the pressure gauge, thus it saves me a lot of time not sending the locomotive back there again.
To test this theory, I guess tonight I will remove the broken pressure gauge and put the screw alone back to the place, and now based on the design it is a closed system, I am certain to see the pressure will buildup, and it seems likely.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Is this your first live steam loco?
Do you know anyone locally who knows about live steam?
If so, see if they can help you.
Often it helps to have other people around to help solve what might be a simple fix.
Cheers,
David Leech, Delta, Canada

·
Super Modulator
20,774 Posts
To test this theory, I guess tonight I will remove the broken pressure gauge and put the screw alone back to the place, and now based on the design it is a closed system, I am certain to see the pressure will buildup, and it seems likely.
Interesting... since the pressure gauge is removed, is your way to "see the pressure will buildup" a popoff valve venting or just a boiler explosion? :)

Greg

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
You say the popoff released steam. That tells me that the pressure gauge is not the problem. If you filled it too high with water, it may not run at all as the cylinders would be full of water.
Try filling the boiler up and then removing 50 - 60 ml of water.
Then fire it up and wait till it pops off and slightly open the throttle and work the Johnson bar back and forth to clear any water that may be in the cylinders. you may need to push the engine back and forth as you do this. If you feel it trying to move, then open the throttle a little more until it will go on it's own.
If this doesn't work check the valve rods to insure everything is tight and hasn't worked loose in shipping

1 - 9 of 9 Posts