G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody got  links to pictures of Power Plants.    I am thinking of one for the  New River and Western RR.     There is a real  kewl one on the way to Tucson  but if you  show  up anywhere near one  with a camera your hauled off and never seen again.     It's as bad as  Rail FAning.  

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
John,
No pics of full blown plants but if you know the location of one you may want to try MSN Virtual Earth (down load) for free. Than you can fly over with a birds eye view.
A personal thought on this is sub stations. I plan on getting some pics the next time I get out of local sub stations as there easier to accessand they come in convient sizes.
Dave

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
JJ,
Open a webpage to Google,  then choose Images at the top.  Search under power generation plants.   There is a page with many pictures of power plants.
Hope this helps.
JimC.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
JJ, are you looking for nuclear or coal power plant, i go by a coal plant in Joliet, and a nuclear in Braidwood IL , which one you want pic of.

tom h

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Out here in the Desert we  generate with  Nuclear  or   Oil  or Natural gas.  So  I guess I need to see   a  Nuclear and or Oil plant.  

I down loaded the  Google Earth program.    Every time I open it   it crashes.    I am on Dial up  It takes years to down load anything./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/cry.gif

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
John,

For a nuclear plant, the reactor building is mostly underground, so all you really need is a small building.  Make it rectangular. Then, since it is the desert, and you need to cool that reaction down, you'll need the big, parabolic cooling towers most commonly associated with nuclear power.  

Another thing you could do is to make a model of a coal fired power plant with a scrubber on the stack. The vapor coming out of the stack looks like pollution, but it is actually just water vapor.  Matt's photos show a dirty stack.  Believe it or not, there's a lot of sulfur in that shot.  [ I take it back.  It looks like there might be a scrubber on the stack all the way to the left.  However, it is clear that the stack on the right is not scrubbed.  See photo below for a recent stack with a scrubber. 

This is the pleasant prarie generating station near Kenosha, WI.  The stack with the 'smoke' coming out is actually scrubbed so that there is less than 3% sulfur content.  The stack on the left is the old stack and I think it was out of service by this photo (Dec 06)

·
Been around awhile
131 Posts
JJ

I recall all the great looking power plants build on the beaches of So Cal by SCE. I did a google image search for Edison Power Plant and got many great photos. Just got to pick your style and era ! 

Opps, Jim already said that  /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crying.gif

Dave

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
I remember that cover.  The only thing missing is the huge Pig Balloon.  This was used for the cover art on the album "Animals"

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hi Andrew,

Wen I started to read this thread my mind turned to Battersea power station and I thought maybe I should post a pic.  Well you have done better with yours.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hi John J,

I don't know whether you are familiar with Kevin Morgans web site;

www.ColoradoRailfan.com

but you will find pics of the power station, with its large lake, near Denver CO amongst his pics.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I used to have the plans for the nuclear reactor in pdf form scale 1:1600, has all the builds labeled as to what their function is and elevations of the facades to build it in paper form
i'll have to do some searching if yer interested

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WOW/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif  these have been some great pic's    Gives me a  base to work on.    Thanks  guys:D

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Hi,

A now closed nuclear power, in 1991, plant in North Wales is at Trawsfynydd; There are quite a few photos of it on Google.

Use the search phrase 'trawsfynydd power station' and there they are.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
If you want nuclear plants, try http://www.nukeworker.com/pictures/

1 - 20 of 32 Posts