G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried posting a picture, but wanted to preview the posting first. Nothing happened. No picture....... nothing. Is there a bug or am I doing something wrong?
For the test I used [img*]image location[/img*] (without the *'s) Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Posted By chooch on 11/07/2008 6:36 PM
Tried posting a picture, but wanted to preview the posting first. Nothing happened. No picture....... nothing. Is there a bug or am I doing something wrong?
For the test I used [img*]image location[/img*] (without the *'s) Any thoughts?

Fred
If you use the UBB/Forum Code square bracketed tags they won't get converted to the respective HTML tags until you Submit the reply for posting. So no images in either Preview option.

Use the Insert Image function, and paste or type the image's URL in the respective field and you'll be able to preview.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information Steve. I'll give that a try.

I see that works fine, but what about non 1st class members. Do they have the same option? Or do they not have the preview option that will show the picture?

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Fred

The basic answer is no, the standard registered MLS member doesn't have all of the tools (i.e. buttons) that you see on your version of the editor as a 1st Class member.

However, if they use the HTML view mode and learn the basic HTML image tag then they can accomplish the same thing, when switching back to the Normal or Preview mode. All three of the previously mentioned buttons (i.e. Normal, HTML, & Preview) are located in the lower-left of the editor's area.

HTML Image Tag Example:

(asterisk needs to be removed for example to work)

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Bruce

"Not working" is a pretty broad description.

What browser are you using, because I just tried it being logged in as a standard registered MLS member and it worked properly for me (i.e. using HTML mode & including an image tag, then being able to see that image in both the Normal & Preview modes) using MS/Internet Explorer v7.0.600.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Posted By SteveC on 11/09/2008 8:33 AM
Bruce

What browser are you using, because I just tried it being logged in as a standard registered MLS member and it worked properly for me (i.e. using HTML mode & including an image tag, then being able to see that image in both the Normal & Preview modes) using MS/Internet Explorer v7.0.600.

Just tried it again using FireFox v3.0.3, and encountered no problem.

·
Senior JOAT
736 Posts
Posted By SteveC on 11/09/2008 8:44 AM
Bruce

Yes, I guess it IS a pretty broad description.

I have tried it using Firefox v3.0.3, as well as IE 7.0.5730.13
When I press the Preview "button" nothing happens.

Perhaps that is too broad as well. ;) The preview button does get highlighted and the text appears to scroll up a line. Maybe I just expected to see how it might appear when posted.

I tried doing the IMG thing listed above, but I have also been unsuccessful getting an image to appear in preview.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Bruce

And once again in Opera v9.62, again without problem.

·
Senior JOAT
736 Posts
Posted By SteveC on 11/09/2008 8:59 AM
Bruce

And once again in Opera v9.62, again without problem.

Congratulations!

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Posted By Bruce Chandler on 11/09/2008 8:58 AM

The preview button does get highlighted and the text appears to scroll up a line. Maybe I just expected to see how it might appear when posted.

I tried doing the IMG thing listed above, but I have also been unsuccessful getting an image to appear in preview.

When the editor opens, by default it is in the Normal view mode.

The reason why it seems that the content in the reply seems to move up a line, is because when in the Preview mode the tool bar is removed giving more room to display the content.

If you switch to the Preview view mode, then you will get a preview of what the reply will look like, except in the following instances.
[*] If you've quoted a previously posted reply.
If you've quoted a reply, since the editor does not recognize the the definition used by the forum software to enclose the quote in a box, it won't display it. Shad is working on getting this corrected.

[*] If you use the UBB/Forum Code image tags, you won't see an image displayed in either the Normal or Preview modes.
This happens because the tags aren't converted to the correct HTML tags until you submit the reply for posting.

[*] If you use the proper HTML image tag, but type it in while in the Normal view mode.
This is because the editor assumes you are wanting to display HTML code as regular text, and modifies it to accomplish this.
[/list] So, if an individual is a standard registered MLS member, has an image to include in their reply, and wants to see what the reply will look like prior to submitting the reply for posting.

[*] All of the textual content can be entered into the editor's content area while in the Normal view mode.

[*] Any images to be included , have to be entered while the editor is in the HTML view mode, using the HTML tag described above.
Although, how to do that will have be understood by the individual.
[/list]

·
Senior JOAT
736 Posts

Steve, That was it. I had MISSED the part about being in HTML mode when entering that tag.

And, before that, I was quoting your text without doing a picture and expecting to see the quote boxes.

Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts