G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Hi Barry,

That's perfect - nothing wrong with that - you can go just a bit wider if you are interested though -your post is 600 pixels wide - you can go to 640 pixels wide.

Nice shot - that is some gully you have there and the bridge suits is perfectly!

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Peter, I am using my smugmug account and used this
to bring them across in the appropriate size. The actual pictures are uploaded to Smugmug at 10mp which is about 2 MB/pic. which is what I have uploaded to my First Class web space and then I can't/don't know how to reduce them. This is at my one Club layout. It is the only club layout in the state of Georgia, USA that is available to the public.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, I tried to post a picture without the URL. Duh!! I used the following without the asterisks.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the link for the resizer. Yes I still have XP, my wife has vista and I am not looking forward to it. I am considering getting an Apple for my next computer.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Hi Barry,

XP will be around for a while, my computer came with it BUT has an option to go back to XP which I took! Microsoft are possibly going to keep it around for a while. I hope so!

What you need to put pictures in is as follows [*img]ID of pix[*/img] remove the * in each case. I tried it with your pix and it worked for me!

To make active links exchange the 'img' for url

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Peter, thank you for your recommendation. It works great!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Hmmm! I must be the class dummy again. I just attempted a "new topic" post with two photos and the whole works just disappeared when I hit the submit button. Oh well! I'll experiment some more when I have time.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Might as well try this. Haven't had much luck lately! Well I see it but it was way to big, shrunk it some and will submit to see what happens.

Downloaded the "resize" link which worked great, resized the image and deleted the original. Now that wasn't to smart! Trying the new and resized image.

OK, worked fine - but, I couldn't find it in the images list of my 1st class web space when I clicked on the "insert image" icon. When I went directly to images uploaded it was there so I copied the URL and pasted it. Maybe it just takes more time for the image to appear on the list than I gave it.

Jeff Livingston
Kaneohe, Hawaii

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Thanks Dwight,

I inadvertantly deleted the original image then replaced it with the resized image. However, after I uploaded the image into my 1st Class web space it doesn't appear in the list of images when I click on the "insert image" icon. All the old pictures are there but not the two new ones, OR&L 001 (small) and OR&L 002 (small). I'll rename them without the parenthesis and ampersand and try again.

Jeff Livingston
Kaneohe, Hawaii

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Thanks again Dwight,

The file name was the problem. Changed the & to and, removed the ( ) and the uploaded pictures appeared in the list.

Jeff Livingston
Kaneohe, Hawaii

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea Dwight and Jeff for getting it done. I'm not savy enough to be trying to teach someone else. I see the long awaited new menu bar is up and running. That will make a lot of picture stuff really managable for guys like me. Thanks Shad and all that helped.

·
Administrator
5,695 Posts
It might be worth mentioning again for those new to the forums, and just as a general refresher...

Filenames should be restricted to letters, numbers, the hyphen ( - ) and the underscore ( _ ). Avoid using spaces, punctuation marks (periods, quotes, colons, semicolons, exclamation points, etc.), and other special characters, (*, *, %, $, #, @, etc.) in filenames as these don't translate well into URLs. Examples:
Loco # 1 on Trestle.jpg

will cause problems if you try to post it, and should be renamed:

Loco_No_1_on_Trestle.jpg
Loco-No-1-on-Trestle.jpg
LocoNo1onTrestle.jpg

wrong:[/b]

LocoNo.1onTrestle.jpg

the period after No will mess things up. The only period in a filename should be the one right before the three-letter file extension (jpg in this case).

Parenthesis are also a problem. This is especially common since Windows will automatically insert them when copying a file:

LocoNo1onTrestle(1).jpg

Before uploading this file, rename it to eliminate the (1)

Photos should also be resized to no more than 640 pixels maximum width to comply with forum rules. Anything larger than that will be converted to a simple link by the first moderator who sees it. If you need help resizing photos, post a question in the forums or email a moderator for assistance.

Hoping this may prove helpful.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts