G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many people seem to be having problems posting their pics and active links - this thread is typical:

http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/forumid/11/postid/33279/view/topic/Default.aspx

The problem is that the 'prompts' are missing from the top of the posting screen(s). The old forums had the 'insert link' and 'insert pic' which produced the brackets and code words in the edit area so folk got used to them.

While the new RTF forums editor might be too daunting for some, a brief sentence at the top of the edit page, above the Body area, with the img and url construct spelled out might help the newcomers to figure it out. Something like
"To include an active link, use {url}..link text...{/url}
To include an image, use {img}..image URL/location...{/img}"

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've also noticed that one could simply use HTML coding for the photos or links. It alows for you to create diffirent text for the links, and have an alternate description for the photo in case it dosen't load, or for those who visually handicapped.

·
Old Senior Member
1,456 Posts
Pete Thornton
1st Class Member
Annapolis, MD

Darn missed the quote.. oh well.. sorry..
We agree with you.. The wife and I have been using lately (until this get fixed so we can use it..) MLC.com that has a BBC code to use for all posting.. it sure is nice to be able to use it as you post. It comes up in a side box. Maybe Shad can put one on here for us old guys.???
Our brain doesn't work sometimes and can't fine the sheet of all of the code on them when you need them.
So it easy just to copy and paste a link and let who every wants to see the photo, paste it to a new browser for now..

·
Premium Member
5,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I assume this slipped the Moderator's attention while everyone was at the BTS? Or doesn't a 'feedback' entry deserve a response?

·
Administrator
5,695 Posts
Or doesn't a 'feedback' entry deserve a response?
I saw this when it was first posted. The thing is Pete - the mods have absolutely no control over this. None whatsoever. That being the case, I have no meaningful response.

I would like to see the new Editor come online soon, as posting photos and/or URLs aren't the only unwieldly things about the current system. Exactly when that will happen I can't say.

·
Premium Member
5,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dwight,

It seems a bit weird that, when sending an email, you get a choice of 'basic' or 'rich text' editors, but nothing similar for the forum postings? What a mess.

·
Administrator
5,695 Posts
The rich text editor in the forums was disabled because it was causing some people lots of trouble - primarily, though not exclusively, those members using Macs. That group never complained about the RTE in the email screen, so it's still in place. A new RTE for the forums is currently under test for cross platform compatibility. When it will actually be brought online is again something I cannot say because I have no idea. :)

Now you know as much as I know (which ain't much). hehehe ;)

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
The prompts were an integral part of the old forum.. They would not be easily portable to the new format. I could spend the time trying to get the old prompts programmed in, or I can just finish what I am working on, the new RTE. Patience for a little while longer is all I ask.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts