G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I am curious about a couple of things. I have had my Accucraft Mogul for about 2 months now and I am noticing a couple of things. First there seems to be some "bubbling" (I am guessing from the steam oil) at the seam where the steam chest meets cylinders. Is this normal break in that will stop eventually or is this a problem? The other thing that I have noticed is that there seems to be steam coming into the cab from under the boiler jacket that is causing condensation on the roof of the cab. Is this evidence that there is a bigger problem with my engine? I have about 10 hours total run time on this, so any info that you can offer is most appreicated. Maybe I am just being worried about nothing... I hope

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
I also found some condensate on the inside roof of my Mogul. I let it cool and carefully tightened up the fittings on the boiler, took out the steam valve and lubed up the shaft and seal with steam oil and it stopped. I lube up the throttle valve and seal about every third or fourth run even though I don't see the condensate any more. I may be over doing that but I have read bad things of them sticking if let cool with the valve closed tightly. Nick Jr

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
The steam in the cab is just the safety venting into the boiler jacket due to small holes on the top of the steam dome. The leak on the cylinders are normal for pretty much all accucrafts. They dont use anything on the gaskets just oil. Eventually they all leak, you can fix it by applying a film of RTV but that involves a lot of disassembly.

·
Premium Member
6,369 Posts
at the seam where the steam chest meets cylinders.

My C-16 began to leak out of the steam cheat above the cylinders, so I tightened the four bolts holding the cylinders together. Seems to have cured it for now.

·
Registered
308 Posts
a simple fix for the Condensate under the jacket..
[1] drill out the centre hole in the dome top to 1/8th diamteer, press fit ashort piece of 1.8th copper tube into it , with about 3/16th sticking down inside.. then fit asmall length of rubber tube to the safety valve top.

[2] refit the dome top joining the safety to the copper vent tube with the rubber tube..

This solves the discharge under the jacket problem and looks much better when the safety valve is open.with a high plume of steam from the dome.

Gordon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts