G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
My thought is that it would be tough to fit the battery and necessary components into one of these./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/shocked.gif The little thing needs a fair amount of weight to pull a load, and most of the room in the saddle tank is taken up by the factory-provided slug. A trailing car might be the answer. Considering that it was fairly common practice to put a short 4-wheel tender behind these Porters, you'd have a place to put the electronics and batteries, which you could then wire to the motor power leads through the receptacle on the boiler backhead. A little Hartland 4-wheel flat car would be a good starting point for the tender.;)

For those who are wondering what loco we're talking about, here's a shot of one I rebuilt as an 0-4-2T. From the cab forward, it's essentially what a "Daisy" looks like....

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
From my experience, most of the LGB products are relatively easy to disassemble. Just keep taking out screws, lotsa scews. Just be sure you take photos/make notes on what goes where when you put them back together. One other technique I use is to put the screws back into the parts I've just removed. Then, when you reassemble them, the right screws are in the right place. LGB used adhesives in relatively few places, and thankfully, because they used really robust adhesives, they weren't in places you couldn't work around. The Porter, as I recall, only required me to break out the cab windows, and I only did that because I was creating an open plantation-style cab.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.