G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well lets see, its been about a year since I started this thing, maybe I should try to finish this stupid thing BEFORE this years BTS /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/shocked.gif

I work better under pressure anyways... ;)

I started building up the blue foam "hills" last week, getting near the top now, be ready to start carving the foam into rocks pretty quick here, lets see...

...I got 47 days to go! :D

link to original building log/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif

http://archive.mylargescale.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47038&SearchTerms=portable,layout,log

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Progress pics:

Starting with the foam

backside view

foam topped off

Now gotta wait for the glue to dry, then I can start shaping./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One evenings carving, not bad, starting to look like southwestern sandstone:)

Still need to sand some of the rough spots down and carve the back side a bit but this was very very fast!

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Posted By vsmith on 04/22/2008 9:21 PM

Still need to sand some of the rough spots down and carve the back side a bit but this was very very fast . . . 

I like it ! Great little project you have going there. What are you using for the glue?

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its Just standard carpenters glue, most things I've read say use "Liquid Nails" because it dries faster, but I have a big thing of the carpenters glue. I just glue it down the night before and its ready to go the next evening. But cold weather can effect its drying time. If time or weather are issues, use the Liquid nails route.

PS I watched this series of vids on Youtube, it was very helpfull.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=D1D4KBB_GC4&feature=related

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Posted By vsmith on 04/23/2008 8:47 AM

Its Just standard carpenters glue, most things I've read say use "Liquid Nails" because it dries faster, but I have a big thing of the carpenters glue. I just glue it down the night before and its ready to go the next evening. But cold weather can effect its drying time. If time or weather are issues, use the Liquid nails route. PS I watched this series of vids on Youtube, it was very helpfull. http://youtube.com/watch?v=D1D4KBB_GC4&feature=related

Yes, cold weather is ALWAYS an issue up here, so liquid nails it is. Thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Progress:

the buildings on top are just there for ideas, I'm still deciding what I want to do there. The Piko buildings may be OK but the HofB hotel looms a little large, I really want to build a series of very narrow buildngs winding there way up the hill, so these would only be temporary anyway. Even the station would eventually be replaced. But I only have a little over one month to get this ready.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Small test area for scenery, Woodland Scenics stuff, guess it works for large scale, no ballast yet, gotta get some stuff without the blue "ore" in it.

Photo came out to bright, it doesnt look this washed out in person :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, I added highlight colors to the bluffs on the layout as shown above. Going to go with 3 facades at the top with the watertank as shown, and the "house of relief" next to the water tank (eeewww!)/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/shocked.gif

Got a bag of "Ballast" in the pet aisle of the local Theftway.... dam stuff has pink "scent control crystals" in it, another had blue ones, geez well at least pink looks more southwesterny than blue. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/pinch.gif

I think if I had one full day I could finish this, fat chance I'll have that kind of free time /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue2.gif

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a friend building an giant HO scale railroad in his attack. Something like you might see at a train show. Only problem is he's been working on it for years and he still doesn't even have a single working loop to run the trains. I keep telling him to get one section going so I can see some of the hundreds of trains actually running. The mountains have been evolving for about two years now but still need landscaping. He did finally manage to finish a large stockyard, so I got to see some very nice locos move back and forth about 20 feet. Now its filled with a couple hundred boxcars. I'm pretty sure he's ADHD. ;-)

Once you put your mind to it, you came a long way in a very short time. The mountains turned out very nice. I hope you post some pics when you figure out how to work the structures in. Good work!

Paul

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yikes! First thing I did on my indoor layout was track wiring and controls, gotta get them running otherwise its just a great big paperwight. Even if it takes me a couple years to finish it, I can still run trains anytime I want, and thats whats most important for me.

Put down a small section of my ballast as a test, Yuck!

The white kitty litter looks like crap! After vacuuming that disaster off, thought I was gonna dye!

Literally! I dyed the litter, using some rust brown paint mixed with water, and dipped the litter with a stainer into it and set it out to dry. Color looks alot better now. We'll see how dry it is tonight, might need to bake it in the oven to get it nice and crispy. If this works I'm going to use it on the indoor layout, beats paying $10 a paltry bag for the Woodland Scenics stuff, much as I like it, on a layout my size, it would cost a small fortune to ballast that way.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well a hard push this weekend squeezing time in between yardwork and chores, yields results, I give you

Tincan Junction

Overall view

Station looking up the hill

Looking up the hill from the crossing

View of Brien's Pinnacle

Tincan itself, a one horse town and they had to borrow the horse.

Still lots of little detail stuff to add, I thought this would take another month to do but it went surprisingly fast, I'm ready for the BTS.

BTW this is a full dress rehersal for the big indoor layout.

G

·
I see from the first photo of your last post (above this one) that you've included an large wind turbine to provide power to the layout. Very environmentally friendly. ;)

·
Just another old guy
786 Posts
Vic,

That is looking outstanding. Looking forward to seeing it in person (Like in about 1 month).

Tommy:cool:
Rio Gracie

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys
Bill its a 36" diameter, bent down from 5' brass rails and spiked to basswood ties, the link in the first post will take you to the 1st part of the building log that explains most of the early trackwork to get the stage of the first post above here.

(edit) OOPS! FYI to GlacierBill, its a 36 x 36 base, with a 32" dia center to center track.
/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blush.gif

1 - 20 of 164 Posts