G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother in law just aquire some large free sheets (4x8) of polycarbonate for his house project. He told my I could have the scraps if I wanted. I'm looking for info about polycarbonate. What type of glue to use/ how easy is it to glue, etc. Has anyone else worked with polycarbonate? Would it be useful to a modeler?
Thanks in advance,
Craig

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
You can glue polycarbonate (LEXAN is a trade name for polycarbonate) with Acrylic Cement. Polycarbonate has a much higher impact strength then acrylic. It doesn't like to be cut or routed so make sure you and your brother keep a good hold on it when running it through a power saw and make sure your tools are sharp. There is a lot of information about working with polycarbonate on the TAP Plastics website.
Russ

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
So the same cement will work for both?

The "glass" pulpit at church has a broken piece I've been meaning to repair. Somebody tried with epoxy a while ago, which failed for obvious reasons. I'm wondering how to tell if it's polycarbonate or acrylic.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Posted By Torby on 03/21/2009 10:28 AM
{snip...}[/i] I'm wondering how to tell if it's polycarbonate or acrylic.
Shouldn't be to hard Tom, just see if you can easily cut the edge of the crack with a sharp knife, if it's glass you'll know it.

G

·
Russ,
i like your style. advertising your products simply by the use of information.
not invasive, but allways present, where it makes sense.
i think, i will never buy something from you, due to distance and transport costs, but i learned a couple of usefull things from your "edutizements".
thanks for that.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
That's not the one, but it is pretty. Now, show me a link to the glue. Yes, the epoxy peeled off easily as it didn't adhere at all. I might need to clean the edges as it's been broken for a long time.

I think somebody told me to tell by looking through it the long way. It's crystal clear looking that way, not greenish. Seems to be about an inch thick. 

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Here is the link to the Acrylic Cement Manufacture: IPS Corp. There are many plastics distributors that carry the Weld-On brand on Acrylic Cements. Here is the link to the Acrylic Cements available from TAP Plastics. The material you describe sounds like it is made from acrylic sheet. I usually recommend using Weld-On #16 for repairs as it's syrupy nature helps fill in any slight voids between the mating parts. Some also find it easier to control.
Russ

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
One tube of Weld-On #16 ordered. Thanks.

(I agree with Kormsen. Be helpful, provide information, solve problems, and we're delighted to buy from you.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.