G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Each of us enjoy the experience of running live steam engines, going on excursions, riding the rails with steam specials keeping the image of being a steam engineer alive for a hobby.
Good to see steam active for more than tourism or special events, as it can be found in Poland.

The engine is loaded with coal for its daily routine

Out of the yards

Heading towards the station

Into the station for the task at hand: commuter train via coal fired live steam:

The PKP is a business that conducts service allowing workers to commute to numerous locations (one run has 17 stops).

Along with that service the PKP offers John Q Public to be engineer and fireman running the locomotives during the daily routes.
So, look closely at the engineer in the second photo.... the tag team of Harry and Ryan

Harry Quirk and Ryan teamed together as the crew on each of several engines for over a week of hard work doing a dream job (at least on paper it is a wish come true):

Looks like picture of ease and relaxation until you get the vision through the camera of the movement both of body and engine:

Engineer Ryan riding the throne:

Harry keeping pace with the spade feeding the dragon:

Ryan can filll in the details about the experience, including a beautiful young lady coming to the rescue!

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Charles, That was incredible. Did you actually take that trip and get the pictures?

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Posted By spodwo on 01/03/2009 7:23 PM
Where in the Father Land did this occur?

I would guess Wolsztyn (Wollstein)?

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
We have a winner! These photos are in and around the Wolsztyn (think vol-st-en). About two hours east of the Oder river and the German border. I have been working on doing a photo essay for all to see, but have been sidetracked by something else yet again. Photos from Smigel & Sroda 750mm gauge lines, as well as Leszno, Wrocław, Jaworzyna Śląska, and the once bustling Gniezno shops.

Stay tuned for a photo essay and a bit of first person narration, with video clips for all the realism!

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
I learned about this opportunity in mid-summer and couldn't believe what it offered. Lookin forward to updates about the travels of Harry and Ryan. Just hope the Polish steam experience is able to survive the financial crisis. Bruce

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
I went there in Feb 2007 via a Railtrails tour from the UK. Great trip. We went to Poland and then to the Harz Mountains in former East Germany. The Harz narrow gauge has 25 operating steam locomotives, 18 of them the big 2-10-2's. I ran the polish train from Woltzsyn to Lezno. I believe we had that same little 2-6-2. We also rode the little narrow gauge out of Smiegal. Then the next day we had a steam special pulled by the Pacific Pieka Helena from Woltzsyn to Wroclaw(formerly Breslau) and a reception sponsored by the Polish Railways. On the Harz we had our own steam special which toured the entire railroad. It was pulled by two of the ancient 0-4-4-0's Lots of fun. Here is the link if anyone wants to try it out. This year I took a trip to Dresden to visit the numerous little narrow gauge railways around there. We also had a mainline steam excursion to Altenberg pulled by one of the class 52 2-10-0's. The only downside is the 10 hour flight to Germany and back.

http://www.steam-training.com/wex-top-d.htm

Here are some pics I took. Enjoy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jfrank65/sets/72157594549366633/

Here is the link to the Harz Mountain railroad.

http://www.hsb-wr.de/

Click on the binoculars to see their live web cam.

Trip to Dresden this December.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jfrank65/sets/72157611264811846/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxO6u99oDaM

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Posted By rbednarik on 01/03/2009 9:59 PM
We have a winner! These photos are in and around the Wolsztyn (think vol-st-en). About two hours east of the Oder river and the German border. I have been working on doing a photo essay for all to see, but have been sidetracked by something else yet again. Photos from Smigel & Sroda 750mm gauge lines, as well as Leszno, Wrocław, Jaworzyna Śląska, and the once bustling Gniezno shops.

Stay tuned for a photo essay and a bit of first person narration, with video clips for all the realism!

Isn't Gnizno (Gnesen) still the location of PKP's steam shops? I have soem video shot of the area from right at "the fall". Do they still have the ancient Prussian P8s?

And do post the Sroda footage, I have a "thing" for Px48s......

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Posted By Spule 4 on 01/04/2009 5:55 PM
Isn't Gnizno (Gnesen) still the location of PKP's steam shops? I have soem video shot of the area from right at "the fall". Do they still have the ancient Prussian P8s?

And do post the Sroda footage, I have a "thing" for Px48s......

The Gniezno steam shops are being moved to Leszno due to their proximity to Wolsztyn and as a cost savings, so I was told by Howard Jones, the man responsible for keeping Wolsztyn Steam active through the PKP.

When I was at the Gniezno shops in June, they had a TkT 48 (2-8-2 tank) and Pt47-6 (2-8-2, 73" drivers) nearing completion. We ran OL49-23 (2-6-2) to the shops (light engine move) for evaluation to see if it was worth restoring or meking it into a parts loco. Currently OL49-111 is being rebuilt at the Leszno shops.

Yes they still have two active Prussian P8 variants (OK1 and Ok22) although they were not using them during my week there.

Most of the trips made were either to Leszno or three trips out and back from Wrocław Glowny to Jelcz and return with either a TkT 48 or a GWR 45XX 2-6-2. Harry and I ran the 45XX on our day in Wrocław.

I have lots of footage from Smigiel and the Px48 that we cherished. Since this was a Carl Franz planned trip, we were treated to his wonderfully thoughtout and well composed photo freights.

Here's a few teaser photos for you guys to enjoy:

Once I can get a free minute this week, I'll post up some more.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ryan, these photo's are fantastic, one more reason to visit overseas. Thanks for sharing the shots.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts