G Scale Model Train Forum banner

PNG Drop Bottom Gondola

6K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  John McGuyer 
#1 ·
Phil recently started shipping his Drop Bottom Gondola.

I just finished the model and it's ready for the paint shop.

I weathered the boards with an alcohol/India ink mixture prior to assembly. I will leave the inside as is and only paint the outside.

Phil's kits are well engineered and sturdy enough even for an oaf like me to operate in the garden. While his instructions are always first rate, he has REALLY outdone himself this time with lots of pictures to accompany the step by step directions. The castings are clean and only require minimal clean up. While it's definitely not a shake the box kit, it goes together very nicely. I sure had fun putting this one together.

See less See more
#2 ·
Very nice Bruce ... the Northland RR can sure use a few of the drop bottom gons.

Many of Phil's kits duplicate cars offered by AMS in rtr platic or by Hartford in their superb quality kits. I can well agree with Bruce, Phil puts together a very solid kit that builds to a car that will withstand day to day use. His kits are laser cut so the wood parts go together precisely and there is no frustration at all. i have enjoyed the kits I have built.

Regards ... Doug

#5 ·
#6 ·
Posted By NTCGRR on 06/08/2008 6:25 PM
I've herad of drop end, but how does an old wood drop bottom work??

As you can see in the photos of the model, there were six sections on each side of the car. Six doors on each side were hinged along the center sill of the car and raised and lowered by chains attached to the side of the door opposite the hinge. The chains wound around a shaft on the outside of the car and were controled by the rachet handles on the end. Three doors were ganged together so there were four separately operable sets of doors.

I've got Phil's kit, and while I haven't had time yet to build it, it looks to be another superbly engineered kit. I also have (and built) one of Don Winter's drop bottom gons that could best be described as the inspiration for Phil's kit as he has improved greatly on the fidelity of the kit to the prototype. His new castings also are much better detailed than Don's which had some ingenious touches (laminated plastic rachet handles), but wasn't as sturdy as Phil's.

#24 ·
I also built one and enjoyed every minute doing it. Since I like to detail, it was a good candidate for all the brake linkage plus the striker plates on the end. There is a picture of it on the One to Twenty Point Me blog site. I'm now finishing a 40 foot reefer and it again has been a pleasure to build. Phil provides a rugged foundation that you can build to any level you desire.

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.