G Scale Model Train Forum banner

Please report upgrade bugs here

28K views 219 replies 46 participants last post by  Greg Elmassian 
#1 ·
I want to be able to keep everything in one place so I can have a running to do list to help get things fixed in order they are brought to my attention. Please try to keep all the posts about bugs and requests related to the site upgrade to vBulletin here.

#142 ·
The site is slow tonight, both waiting for vertical scope ads and transferring data, before pages open.
Got a timed out trying to open the site15 minutes ago oor so...

end of report.

#143 ·
Not really a BUG, but something I don't understand. On several threads (but not others) pictures have been re-sized, with a banner across the top to click on if you want to see the 'full size.' But in all the pix I've checked so far, the 'larger' pic is only a few pixels wider than the edited one. Even some vertical format posts, which fit well under the old 800 pixel limit, have been resized.

So -- what is the basis for resizing some pix and not others? Is there a new width limit? Byte count limit? Or...?

I can see how this could be useful.. if we knew the parameters we were dealing with. Or has this been posted somewhere?

#144 ·
And one more... I can log in as I normally do, after opening the home page, but when I go to forums, another request to log in pops up. I've logged in there as well, and that's the one that seems to 'take', although I guess I don't know for sure. Why two log-ins?

#145 ·
And one more... I can log in as I normally do, after opening the home page, but when I go to forums, another request to log in pops up. I've logged in there as well, and that's the one that seems to 'take', although I guess I don't know for sure. Why two log-ins?
Yes the two log-ins has been reported before, a couple of times. There seems to be no connection between the now "two" systems of MLS; i.e.: the old "Home" page system (and several of its functions), and the new "Forums" system.

You do not need to log-in on the old Home page to get to the "Forums", unless you want to get to the "1st class web space" entry in the "Members" drop down menu in the blue bar at the top of the Home page (not sure if there are other things that are limited if you don't log-in there).

Of course, you do need to log-in to the Forums system in order to post to it.

#146 ·
Ok I'm signed in...sent off a pm...no problem..
Still signed in...sent off second reply to pm...would not send..tried twice...could see I was indeed signed in at page top..but had to sign in second time to send 2nd pm...it did go out...

Fyi....

Thx ..Dirk - DMS Ry.

#147 · (Edited)
1 - I am re-sending this post. First time, when I hit Post Quick Reply, I was taken to a blank white error screen. When I came back, my post was posted.

2 - I've posted a few times in the past week or two and decided to hit edit within a minute or so. It worked fine. I don't normally edit a few hours later.

3 - My BIG problem. I suddenly have no access at all to the photos I've had stored here all these years. I can load a new photo into MLS, but then I can't access it. I'm one of the guys who never had any problem storing or using my photos.

4 - Thanks for making me a Lifetimer.

5 - What do I need to do to get my logo to show at the end of my posts? In my settings, I presume? I'll attend to that a couple weeks from now, when I get back from vacation (insert grin). Oh wait, emoticons! How helpful! This'll do. ;)

JackM

#150 ·
Jack M.

The only way I can access my pictures is to click on the HOME tab in the menu bar. Go to members and go down to 1st class web space as usual. If there is another way, I haven't found it.

Chuck

PS all my old bookmarks go to the Home page. I have had to re establish them, but since I now use ACTIVE TOPICS, I don't miss them.

#151 ·
Yep, as far as I have been able to determine, that is the only way to access the MLS 1st class web space to post photos from it... so it is no different than using photobucket or any other photo storage web space. The easy posting tools as "Perks" of being a 1st Class Member are no longer available.

I wonder that, since the statement by the forum admin that all previous "1st Class Members" were grandfathered in as a "LifeTime Premium Member", there will no longer be a charge to be a 1st Class Member for anybody and any remaining perks will be slowly phased out, just old timers will have a pretty gold bar under their name.

I just wonder how long the personal web space will be available and if that will become something to be purchased on an annual basis or will be free to anybody. I have not seen anything about how to become a "1st Class Member" now, to obtain personal web space hosted on the MLS server.

Besides, now there is little need for the personal web space just to post photos since anyone can attach photos to a posting without needing web space to store it... i.e.: anyone can upload a photo from their personal computer and it becomes part of the MLS website. I do wonder if the poster can delete an image once it is posted? Unlike the personal web space in the past where the 1st Class Member could arbitrarily delete images that they no longer want to share, (or had to delete files so as to not over-run the allotted personal web space when adding more and thus messed up existing threads).

As far as the statements that this new software is "worse" than the old... I can't figure that one out. It works just fine for me. I can post to threads, start threads, and insert images and YouTube videos (and with less problems getting YouTube videos embedded... no longer need to edit the link to get it to work). I can do Personal Messages and reply to them. I have not joined a Chat session (not something I did much of in the past), but I see that it seems to be working for some people.

I still have some questions about things, but I am letting them ride for a little bit longer to see what shakes out. Yes, there are some differences from what it used to be, but once I have learned where things are it seems to be working okay. Sometimes it seems to be slow and sometimes when I open a page or submit a posting it seems to lock up... but I am experiencing the same thing on other web sites too, so I don't, at present, blame the new MLS software (I blame my ISP, the local telephone company).

#152 · (Edited)
If all you want to do is post text it is fine. That was refined when the web first started a few decades ago.
As far as modern user interfaces go this forum's software is a pile of antiquated rubbish. I guess some like a bordered YouTube with a header in an almost redundant aspect ratio. A tedious editor which visually inserts formatting tags which the effects are not apparent until preview or submitted. It should be a real time Rich Text editor.
The forum search does not work. This company has many other forum sites.
None of the above are unique design concepts to MLS. So what is the problem?
Maybe we should bring back grey pages and Times New Roman. Get real...
I could go on but what's the point? The aptitude is clearly absent.
Fred Flintstone would be impressed I'm sure. His car has wheels so what's the problem?

Andrew

#154 ·
If all you want to do is post text it is fine. That was refined when the web first started a few decades ago.
As far as modern user interfaces go this forum's software is a pile of antiquated rubbish. I guess some like a bordered YouTube with a header in an almost redundant aspect ratio. A tedious editor which visually inserts formatting tags which the effects are not apparent until preview or submitted. It should be a real time Rich Text editor.
The forum search does not work. This company has many other forum sites.
None of the above are unique design concepts to MLS. So what is the problem?
Maybe we should bring back grey pages and Times New Roman. Get real...
I could go on but what's the point? The aptitude is clearly absent.
Fred Flintstone would be impressed I'm sure. His car has wheels so what's the problem?

Andrew
Andrew: If you are seeing the formatting tags, I think you have the editor in the wrong mode. I don't see them unless I click the icon in the upper right corner (a square with a slash and the letter "A" above and below the slash). I can click the "B" and get BOLD, or the "I" and get Italic, or the "U" to get Underline, and combinations thereof and do not see the tags, but rather I see the expected changes to the font.

Click on "Quick Links" and select "Edit Options". On the resultant page go to the bottom and see what you have set for the "Message Editor Interface". Mine is set to, "Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing".

I suppose the Enhanced Interface might be a "Perk" for those of us that have sprung the cash to support MLS, but I don't know that for sure.

#155 ·
Ok different issue found tonight..
Glancing at list of "on-line" users...shows folks I know being here!!!
But, ....when I clicked their name, and proceeded to their personal page..at the top by the name ..the little colored light is blue or grey...not green
When the cursor hovers over it, ..it says they are "off-line"...

Things are not lined up here!!
Have FUN...
Good nite...
Dirk

#159 ·
The thread is the second "sticky" thread at the top of the live steam section.
This thread is a group of PDF files of threads that got a lot of viewing. About half of the threads have links and the rest are not active links. They were ALL active links before this software change. The comment about lost posts referred to the fact that at the time V took over they were the only copies available to some of us. As an example' this was an active link to a PDF file in Dec. 2013;

1/2 Inch Ruby Cylinders - 9.55mb
[/b][/b]Submitted by Dave Hottmann

but is simply text now. From this one up the page they are links, but from this one down the page they are not.

Larry

#160 ·
In the Steamaholics List thread, the very first post in the thread contains the list of all the Steamaholics members along with their SA numbers. The list was in two parts, the first sorted alphabetically by members' last names, and the second sorted by SA # in ascending order.

The first part of the list now stops in the "R's" and the second part is gone altogether. Additionally, all the formatting has been lost.

Unless the list can be recovered in its entirety, I'm going to have to close down the Steamaholics completely.

Please see if this can be fixed and the list recovered.

#162 ·
Messaging from Classified Ads not working

I have two classified ads, I tested the "contact this member about this ad" link and sent a message from each ad. The messages were e-mailed to me like they were set up to do in the old software, but did not come to my "Private Messages" in the forums. NOW When I open the classified page

I get this;

Notifications
You have 2 unread messages.
View Inbox

I click on the link and get this;

Access Denied

You do not have access to view this tab within the portal

#166 ·
Don't know if this is an issue that already been discussed before. I put this on another forum not seeing this forum the first time.
the search feature is not working for me on IE or Firefox. It finds links okay but when I click on them I am redirected to the forum page and not to the thread I wanted.
Further I had links at:
http://scalehumans.com/myprojects.html
and when I click on them they dispaly the same problems.

#167 ·
Well, it appears we are not going to get our imbedded youtube videos back..
If that is the case, could we at least have the opportunity to edit our old posts so we could put them back ourselves?

Back in the old days, there was no limited time to edit your own posts..you could go back years later and still edit a post you had made..Shad implemented a 24 hour window (or whatever the time limit is) because one disgruntled member tried to go back and delete every post he had ever made..but that person is no longer here..So could we maybe get our edit privileges back? then we could fix our videos..

my thread here:
http://forums.mylargescale.com/11-public-forum/7717-stonehedge-railway-new-garden-railroad-born.html

is basically useless without the youtube videos I had posted..
I would like to continue to update, but if I cant get the old videos back, I wont bother..
thanks,
Scot

#169 ·
So, I'm logged in and able to post messages. But when I go to upgrade to first class, I click on that link and it tells me to either register or log in. I try to log in again but I keep getting error messages. Log in failed, check password, case sensitive, and so on.

#170 ·
paid for 1st class not getting access

Ok, so I thought I would just leave it for a few days to give my status time to get changed, and here I am two weeks later and I am still not allowed to add attachments or change my posts. I am starting to think I wasted my money. The editing posts for 24 hours thing is not my issue. I go to make a new post in the model building forum and at the bottom left there is a list of things I am allowed to do with the post "posting rules". I am shown as "not allowed to post attachments", and "not allowed to edit posts".
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.