G Scale Model Train Forum banner

201 - 212 of 212 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
I know that I was well under my limit.
yeah, im sure that people with usernames T through Z losing their files has nothing to do with the storage limit being exceeded or not.

however for those that do still have files, usernames A through S, there has been a possible connection to the storage limit, and the ability to upload new files, or not, via FTP.

When I was over the 100 Meg limit, I could not upload any new files via FTP.
When I decreased my storage below 100 Meg, then I could upload again.

Scot

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
This has gone on way too long. Shad would have had this fixed in short order. It would appear we are now just one small cog in a big slow wheel.

I don't use FTP. I just want the http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/ to work again.
I also agree Paul. Way too long to fix. Even IF (and that's a BIG IF) they get this fixed, a lot of members will have left to go to "greener pastures". Most of the older members have given up long ago on this site and just dropped off the grid. Sad state of affairs :(.

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
I tried the free ftp program that Scott Lawrence(thanks Scott) recommended, (FTP Commander) and can now access my first class site. I just uploaded a new signature photo using ftp and it worked. But I also did not lose the pics in my old threads. I think that is a separate and possibly disastrous problem.
Larry
Edit...One thing I did notice was that when I changed my password a couple of years ago and again recently, my first Class password was still the first one from 2008....?

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Larry
Edit...One thing I did notice was that when I changed my password a couple of years ago and again recently, my first Class password was still the first one from 2008....?
the forum password, and the "storage space" password have always been separate..
(well..perhaps not literally always, perhaps since the last major forum upgrade of 2008.)

you can make them the same if you choose to, but they wont be the same by default..
and you can change one with no effect on the other.

Scot

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Enhanced Mobile View, which used to work well, has been "enhanced "recently and now has a glitch. It scrolls back to the top post when I move down the list. Very irritating.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Okay I just received a email to reset my password, I didn't request it, I'm deleting the request but noting it's reception here.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
vsmith: I am not saying this is what happened to you... but I have in the past received e-mails notifying me to change my password on a forum or other website and the e-mail had a link embedded in it that looked like it was provided for my convenience to reach the website to change my password.

But when I checked the address it would go to, it was bogus... it was an attempt to steal my ID on those sites.

I noticed that the address it was going to go to was not quite right... it was a really long address... supposedly to be a direct link to my account, but upon looking closely at the address it had a simple difference that most people would not see...

Normally addresses take the form of, "http://gmail.com/blah blah blah..." Note the FORWARD SLASH ("/") after the ".com". That is normal and should ALWAYS be a forward slash. What follows that slash is a page of that website and not a part of the URL.

In the address in the notification I received it was a DOT ("."), which makes what follows (the "blah blah blah..." in the example above) a part of the URL and not a page of that URL.

Thus in my case the real URL was not "gmail.com" but "gmail.com.blah blah blah" and much, much further along there was yet another ".com/" that truly ended the URL portion. So it would NOT have directed me to the "gmail" website, but to the "gmail.com.blah blah blah..." website.

This is why it is often advised to NEVER click on a link in an e-mail, because it may be a bogus address and only close examination would reveal that fact... something not everybody knows to look for, or how to recognize that it is bogus.

I make this suggestion to everyone... DO NOT CLICK links in e-mails unless you KNOW it to be valid.

If anyone else has received such e-mails (from any place!) and clicked the "convenient" link in the e-mail, I'd advise you to go directly to that website via your normal access route (type in the address yourself or use your 'Favorites' link) and change your password again to something different.

201 - 212 of 212 Posts