G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone please let Greg know that my comments were not directed at him but my frustration with being forced to upgrade a perfectly good computer every two weeks to keep up. That's BS. When I buy a new car I'm not required to replace the spark plugs every 25 miles.

Beyond that, I can't get into MLS at all in the past few days. I doubt this note will go anywhere but I figure I'll try anyway. (Note that my username, my real name, my password(s) are all firmly in the middle of the alphabet. Nothing I've tried the past few days keeps every MLS page from flashing, then blank. Enough is enough. I've been hanging out here since 2008 - when I barely knew what a gee scale was. It's been very helpful. But I can't spend hours every day just wishin' and hopin' I could read anything anyone posted.

JackM

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It even dropped my "corporate" logo. How appropriate.

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Huh??

Wha'????

·
Super Modulator
20,517 Posts
Jack, the site works (poorly) under Edge... the IE on my Win 10 machine gives a blank page.

IE is being obsoleted on all major web sites, use Edge or get something like Firefox or Chrome.

Greg

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Sorry for your troubles, just to report MLS works fine on
Win 10/Chrome
Win 7/Chrome
I pad /Safari
for me.
Hope it gets fixed for you

Jerry

·
Registered
274 Posts
Running Firefox web browser on old windows 7 3.1ghz quad core and also on an old Pentium single core 3.1ghz PC with XPpro OS, I have no issues with the MLS website on either machine. I also tested it on a old laptop running Linux Mint and the website loads properly.
I set my browser to clear cash every time it closes.
OP try clearing your browser cash.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Update, just tried the MLS web page also on Opera and K-Melon web browsers. All working Fine.
So far the web page works fine for me on FireFox, Chrome, K-Melon and Opera.
Jack I suggest you ditch InternetExplorer and try installing one of the above web browsers.
Opera seems to load the fastest.
On a side note , If downloading a alternative web browser make sure you download it directly from the developers website for safety reasons.

·
Super Modulator
20,517 Posts
The downside of flash is that it has frequent updates.

The upside of flash is that it has frequent updates.

?? There are a lot of people trying to add malware to the animated stuff you watch. Adobe is very active to try to protect you from this, but since it is a huge opportunity, there are a lot of attackers, and updates to plug security holes.

I'd like to see 5 years of KLite history showing how they resist attacks, and documentation on attacks thwarted by updates.

(You might discern that I don't think I will risk my computer on an Adobe Flash knockoff... I'll hang in there until everything is HTML 5)

Greg

Uninstall Adobe Flash. Substitute KLite codecs. Use Firefox.

90% of web problems solved.

Robert

·
Junior Senior Member
564 Posts
Flash and JavaScript are both programs that let a web site control part of your computer/tablet/smart phone. They are designed to be operational on many different platforms, so once written the programming can be easily spread by attaching the routine to something you want to access. When written there was not as much malware and particularly no ransomware.

Any late comer probably does not have the experience to eliminate the flaws that have shown up in these programs. I agree with Greg, be very cautious about using any app that allows this type of access.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts