G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Modulator
22,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, yet another brand new member and first post is SPAM and with an advertising link.

I use this forum software on several other forums that I moderate. Please set up the default for new members to MODERATED status, you have enough moderators and the rate of new members is very low, well within their capabilities.

And if 3 moderators are not enough, I'll volunteer to moderate new members, normally all you have to do is moderate the first post and see they are a spammer and ban their email address... 2 or 3 reasonable posts and you un-moderate them. this is not rocket science.

This is getting worse, not better....

Greg Elmassian

·
Registered
724 Posts
Good greif!!!! This is a model railroad forum, not the Social Security Administration. Lets get over it.

I get more solicitation and junk phone calls and text messages on my UNLISTED, DO NOT CALL REGISTERED cell phone number than I see here. And the ones I see here are so obvious I just ignore them. If you internet savvy (I assume) folks can't see a scam or phish, that sounds like a personal problem.

Report them, sure. Then move on to the real reason you came here.

My tuppence worth.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Good greif!!!! This is a model railroad forum, not the Social Security Administration. Lets get over it.

I get more solicitation and junk phone calls and text messages on my UNLISTED, DO NOT CALL REGISTERED cell phone number than I see here. And the ones I see here are so obvious I just ignore them. If you internet savvy (I assume) folks can't see a scam or phish, that sounds like a personal problem.

Report them, sure. Then move on to the real reason you came here.

My tuppence worth.
All true. but wouldn't it be nice if there was a place you could go where you didn't have to ignore that stuff constantly?
The spam posting represents, to me anyway, all those ones that are so greedy for money that they become intrusive and pretend to be something they are not.. Although that is the way of the world. but its just constantly on ongoing.

It's like a young man told me the other day "Ad blockers are illegal"
I was like "is turning off the computer also illegal now? or turning off the sound??" I was like how in the world are they going to enforce that!
I was like well lock me up and throw away the key because damit if im going to have some company force ads down my throat while im watching a 5 minute video on youtube.
( insert grumpy Old Dude waving his fist image)
It just gets to be too much sometimes.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I have been chided for not reporting a spammer, but I honestly do not know how to do it with the current forum software. The old system had a button for reporting spam. After checking all the buttons and icons, I cannot find anything here. Anyone have an idea of how to report Spam?

·
Junior Senior Member
627 Posts
Dave,
On the upper right corner of each message is a three vertical dot icon. Click on it and you can go to the report page.

Hope it helps.

·
Administrator
5,744 Posts
Greg Elmassian said: "Cannot we get an admin or a moderator or someone to reply? "

I replied on the other thread. In a nutshell...
1 - If I see spam, I delete it and ban the poster, but I don't always see it.
2 - I don't know what's going on with the "Report Post" function. It used to send a "Mod Alert" email to all mods and admins. I can't tell you how long it's been since I received such an email. I even tried reporting one of my own posts. Nada. Zip.

·
Super Modulator
22,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, if the alert no longer goes to moderators, that seems to be a big loss, since clearly no admin replied to this thread.

(I mean Admin like the guys employed by Vertical Scope)

Without a communication channel, I guess my next attempt is to find a post by a VS employee and see if I can engage him, and get some idea on solving the issue.

Unfortunately, if they have "cut out" the moderators from the report function, then we have even less chance of addressing this issue is my guess... clearly they are spread thin, and they are paid employees, thus my request will cost VS money in their time...

Oh well...

Thanks for replying Dwight!

Greg

·
Super Modulator
22,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no, why? You think they will respond to a tag? If they are not responding to the means they asked for, then they can easily justify not responding in a way they never requested.

I will turn the heat up shortly, they WILL hear from me.

Greg

·
Super Modulator
22,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Honest reply:

Forums run on rules, and the administrators typically give you very few avenues of communication... they aren't sampling texts, emails, tweets, and facebook posts... it would be overload.

So, like anything else in the world, you try the official avenue first, out of respect for those who made the rules. Then when that does not work, you try something else, but no guarantees.

You might also think that people with a more long term experience with this forum might have a better clue. Pete has 6,000 posts, he's been here a while and seen the evolution.

Your reasoning is that what the heck, try whatever,

Maybe that would p**s the admins off, by not exhausting the avenues of communication requested first.... i.e. your reasoning is faulty, in life you don't just do something because you can, and surely as a newcomer to the forum, not a great introduction.

Greg

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Greg, I actually joined the forum a few weeks before you did, but whatever makes you feel superior.

Honestly, I was just trying to help and admin isn't going to retaliate because someone tagged them in a post. Take a deep breath, man. Relax.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.