G Scale Model Train Forum banner

Place to run my Dash 9 live diesel

14K views 45 replies 20 participants last post by  HeavyFreight 
#1 ·
I am currently converting an Aristocraft Dash 9 (1:29th scale) to live diesel and will soon need a place to run it. I live near the Richmond, VA area. I would like to find a layout within a 2-3 hour distance. The layout has to have a minimum of 8 foot diameter curves.

Thanks.

#4 ·
Bryant,
I am in Lexington VA and have a 150+ foot dual track oval with 10' curves on the inside, 11+ on the outside and #8 turnouts. There are two waist high steamup bays for preparations. I also have a shop next to the track for work and repairs. I am less than 3 hours from Richmond at the intersection of I-81 and I-64W. Contact me off line for more information if you want to use my track. Since I'm retired, almost any day will do unless my wife steers me in another direction.

#8 ·
I hope to have some pictures before the month is out. Construction is being aided mainly by the use of a table top CNC milling machine. So far I have produced an engine mount, servo mounting tray and generator mounts. I'm using a 4 stroke OS FS 30 engine. Yet to be machined is a gear box that will link the engine to the generator and the fuel tank will be machined as well. I am using an electronic speed controller with BEC (battery elimination circuitry) with also has reverse capabilty and can handle up to 24VDC and 15amps. I am using two channel radio. One channel for the servo that will operate the engine throttle for load control(climbing grades, accelerating, increasing the load that locomotive will be pulling/pushing). The other channel will tell the speedcontroller what direction and how fast or slow the locomotive will move.

There will be more details such as part numbers used and costs/manufacturers as well as pictures when I get the chance.

Thanks

HeavyFreight

#11 ·
HF

I see that Pete Thornton has recommended my layout to you. I am just west of Leesburg, so depending which side of Richmond you are on it is anywhere between 2 and 3 hrs away. THE WALNUTS ARE MOSTLY OFF THE TREES, so the boming has pretty much stopped. However there are still lots to come up off the ground. If you want to come run, drop an email in the private messages. You would be most welcome.

Regards

#16 ·
I feel the need to ask this question. I hope it doesn't upset the purists, this is, after all, the "live steam" forum. What kind of motor do you connect to the gas engine to produce electricity (as far as efficiency and longevity is concerned)?

#18 ·
I've requested a Live Diesel forum - no response. I guess that was a 'No'.

Most of the live steamers tolerate us. And most of 'us' are also live steamers.

To answer the question about the motor that I hook up to the gas engine:

I'm using an brushless DC motor (which acts as an alternator when spun by the gas engine) for my second locomotive:
http://www.anaheimautomation.com/manuals/L010231 - BLWR23 Series Product Sheet.pdf

I'm using the BLWR235S-36V-4000.

My first locomotive, which I've been running for several years, still has the same generator - a radiator fan motor. The alternator I'm using in the second locomotive should last almost forever - it has ball bearings instead of bushings and of course, no brushes to wear out.

Regards,
Bob

#19 ·
Sorry it took me so long to respond. But this demo will be a public demo. And all would be very much welcome to come out and share. Here is a photo of some of the progress. Shown here on the chassis is the engine mount, engine, throttle servo(for load control) and the generator/motor. A fuel tank, gearbox and electronics will be added in the coming stages.

Bryant, I apologize once again for the late reply

#25 ·
Heavy Freight

Chuck N just called about your post regarding being ready to run. UNFORTUNATELY, you only accept PMs from "Friends" so send an email to me [ jim ATSYMBOL ieandwry DOT com ] regarding the standard gauge meet on 17-19 June [this weekend]. You can also get my phone number off the dealer list on the Sunset Valley Railroad web site [www.svrronline.com].

Hope you can come north.

V/r

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.