G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this Zephyr from Bob Thon, of Roberts Lines, you may remember his old ads in GR. He had a few leftover pieces that needed some work and I HAD to have it!  You know how it is. Saw pix of it years ago(89) and wanted one then.  Here's some pix and a link to a video of it's first run. U-joint loosened up, but it's now fixed, if the weather comes back, I'll run it some more. 70's here today, 30's on Sunday, sigh.....

Here's the youTube video.
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-ucqd5YVow

·
Registered
938 Posts
Wow Jerry, you have a real Rareity there!  What a beautiful set!  How long ago did this fellow make them?  They look really well detailed.

I can't believe I'm seeing a Largescale Zeypher on the rails running.  :cool:

Raymond

·
Premium Member
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think he only had about 100 sets made, just the three cars. 10 of the sets went to Wada, in Japan. He made them into live diesel versions, saw one in pix of this years Diamondhead steamup. I've always lusted for one of these. Jerry

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Is there any more? I would love to have one. I found out they came thru KC and also into St.Joe, Mo. That would be cool to run outside or at a tain show.

Cliff

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Jerry
Excellent addition to your hobby experience.  if there was a gas electric model I would purchase the Zephyr is it.  Very impressive, looks fast without doing anything.   As posted from our Steamtown thread we enjoyed the WADA version of the diesel powered version (actually gas powered version).

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Jerry, what a great find. We will see them at Marty's in the fall won't we?

·
Super Modulator
20,736 Posts
I'd like a set as well, but I'll have to be content watching yours.

I did notice the center car is much lower than the other 2 cars. Was this by design?

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Ray,

There was one in the Union Station ( Amtrak area ) in Kansas City..  There is also a gentleman in the NEKanGRS that has 1, it ran on the LS layout the first year @ Union Station..

BulletBob

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Posted By Jerry Barnes on 03/01/2008 8:23 PM
I got this Zephyr from Bob Thon, of Roberts Lines, you may remember his old ads in GR. He had a few leftover pieces that needed some work and I HAD to have it!  You know how it is. Saw pix of it years ago(89) and wanted one then.  . .

Wow! What a stunning find! I didn't know these even existed.  Congratulations !

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Hi Jerry,

I believe that you could radio cotrol your model.  I have a USATrains Hudson with an Airwire receiver in the tender.  The tender is made entirely of metal; but, the high frequency used for the Airwire seems to leak through all the little gaps on openings.  I can easily maintain control from 100 feet away.  Your model has a bunch of windows which are not metal and I don't think you would have any problem at all.

Llyn

·
Premium Member
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Llyn,
May look into it, down the line. SOota broke after this purchase though. Selling some stuff on ebay and gradually building back up. Someone said Spektrum should work also. Heck, maybe anything would, what do I know? :) Jerry

·
Registered
11 Posts
What a great find! That is the first video of a model train that looked right going that fast. ****, that train would look good at any speed. Looks like seventy MPH when standing still! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif

Have fun Jerry.

Phil.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Jerry...I have a Wada GP9 the body is brass, and the chassis is polished steel, it is set up for R/C by the factory, I have ran mine with the
older Futaba and the latest Futaba, and they work super!

·
Super Modulator
20,736 Posts
Jerry, the gap between the truck and the body seems to be closer on the middle car than the end cars, perhaps a simple washer or two? It's beautiful in any case. Do you have both end units powered, and were they originally powered in the model?

Regards, Greg

1 - 20 of 26 Posts