Thanks, guys. Of course, getting this building done really points out that I need to get the rest of the buildings in Blacklog finished.
Anyway, some more shots I took this afternoon...
This shows the other end of the building, including the coal bin for the boiler inside the shop. It also shows the surrounding landscaping a bit more clearly. BTW, lest we get too grouchy about the cost of track, the 2' long piece of 1/2" ID copper pipe for the smokestack cost me darned near $4! Yeah, in terms of detail parts, still inexpensive, but it's copper pipe for cryin' out loud! No wonder that stuff's being heisted from construction sites.
One little dumb goof on my part--I didn't leave expansion space between the cedar planks for the deck. After watering the railroad last evening, and this morning's almost constant drizzle, I was rather quickly reminded why we put them there. Fortunately, it didn't warp to the point of lifting the building--just the ends lifted. Still, once things dry out, I'll have to go out and remove a wee bit of wood to give things room to expand.
To answer Kevin's question, I did do some very light weathering on the building, in the form of a wash of very dilute grimy-brown/black paint. I wiped some of it off, because there was too much "grain" on the wood and the building looked completely unkempt. Mother Nature has her own way with outdoor buildings, anyway, as can be seen by the dirt splashes on the side.
The signs I made myself. I use Adobe Illustrator, but really any program that allows you some degree of flexibility in arranging type should work. They're printed on vinyl "paper," which I found on line from these guys
, but can also be found at Office Depot, etc. in the form of ink-jet printable bumper sticker paper. I just stuck it to some styrene sheet, and glued the styrene to the side. We'll see how well they hold up to the elements, but Del Taparro's vinyl signs have held up rather nicely, so I don't think this stuff would be any different. I did overspray them with a UV-resistant sealer from Krylon.
A close-up view of the coal bin. It takes the place of a second door, which I felt was not needed. The bin is built up from leftover cedar strip from the deck. The coal is just glued to a piece of styrene stuck in the very top of the bin.
The next projects... The shell of the station is made from Fiberock, which is a tile underlayment. It used to be handled by Lowes and HD, but I haven't seen it there in a while. This shell has been out for two winters as is, and has held up VERY well. Only one piece broke off, and that was due to our dog continually walking over it while it was buried under 12"+ of snow. It's next to come in and finally be finished. The "Beggin' Strips" bucket will be replaced by a water tower. The barn in the background will be fixed up, though I'm not convinced it's going to stay there. I've gathered a small herd of Schleich cows, so I may move the farm scene to the other end of the line, behind Neelyton where it can be a bit more prominent.
Of course, there's also the passenger cars to finish, and the tannery facilities at Shade Gap, to say nothing of completing the lift-out bridge so I can actually get trains around the railroad again...