G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jim,

Hope you are still above the water.. Looks like Wichita is going to set a new record for rain.. We are wet but no flooding.. Good LUCK!!

BulletBob

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Bob,
Thanks for asking. This has been a rough day. We got 9.5 in of rain in just a few hours[RECORD]. Insult to injury was that my neighborhood had a power outage for almost six hours. Fortunately, I had a generator which powered my sump pump as well as a neighbor's. It would have been grim or exhausting [bailing] if it weren't for the generator [one time I planned well]. I moved the deck umbrella to cover the generator while running.
Here are a few pics from the area.
Back yard... The water was about 6in deep here even with the work of a French Drain.

Shed from the other side....

A drainage channel got plugged with tree debris.. The layout rivers still did a lot of drainage and were visibally running.

The "RioGram" overflowed its banks into the streets of Vinita Township...

Street in front of my house... In 10 years here, I have never seen the water completely cross the street. Almost all of the cross streets near our house were closed.

I went to lunch at Susie's school. This house was in the city of Maize, KS. Shortly after I passed here, the road was closed.

This lake isn't a lake [usually].

Flooding about a mile from our home...

After the rains let up for a bit,..... neighborhood "kids will be kids."

Schools dismissed two hours early so the busses could make their routes. Murphy's Law dictates that as soon as school is cancelled,... The rains, snows, or whatever will cease.

Overall, we got off lucky. About two miles from our home is the "Calfskin Creek." It was about 15ft out of its banks and flooded several homes, bridges, and roads over its 7mi southbound length quite severly. The YMCA BB/Soccer fields 1/4 mile from the creek are under about 2ft of water. This is the forth consecutive day of rain. We are supposed to have three more days of rain still.
HOWEVER...
Compared to what the people are going through in the Gulf area, I have no complaints.

Treading water [figuratively],
JimC.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Wichita actually has a very good flood control system with a 25mi. "big Ditch," many drainage canals and ponds throughout. The flooding in my area would be best described as "flash flooding," and not a longterm issue. As of 10AM Saturday, we got another 2 1/4 in. of rain during the night. The Calfskin and Cowskin creeks have crested at about 25 ft and should start slowly receeding. The forecast has changed and we should not get significant additional rains.
The grass in the back yard looks pitiful today. I had reseeded the area next to the layout last week. There is absolutely no sign of any of the [high $$] Dense Shade grass seed. It is probably somewhere downstream in the Arkansas River by now. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crying.gif" border=0>" border=0>
The news just said that both the Kansas Turnpike and US81 going south into Oklahoma are closed due to flooding. Where is that proposed Amtrak line when we need it????? [unabashed political comment]
To Dave Goodson [TOC]:
Actually, I could have run the trains at any time. At only one place was the track under water. However, tree debris would have made it difficult. I was a little busy tending the generator, helping neighbors less prepared than me, and rescuing a couple of foolish stalled motorists [both ladies] to run trains. Sorry Dave, I know I let you down.
JimC.

Additional pictures from my area on Kansas.com : http://www.kansas.com/news/updates/story/528280.html

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Children know what to do with weather;)

·
Old Senior Member
1,456 Posts
Glad your family is ok.. Tks for the pic's. Look about the same here when we get bad rains. Yup... Kid do the same here to when they close the schools.
You must be on a Hill like us ... 6 foot about the town so we can bring out the rowboat to the drive way. laf.
Been watching the Gulf. They are realy getting it bad there.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Jim,

Glad you're okay. Looks like our online friends in San Antonio fared okay too. I'm concerned about some of the others on the gulf though.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Here in San Antonio we fared real well had a small breeze but no rain, My Father in Law was caught right in the middle of it in Houston, but he just called again just a few minutes ago and says everyone is ok, we lost a boat but thats all , its small fries compared to what others Im sure have lost. our prayers go out to all caught up in the middle of this and to those whom have yet to deal with whats left of Ike hope yall stay safe and afloat, Take care

·
Premium Member
5,629 Posts
Jim even if you'd had Amtrk doubt it would have run. If the interstate was close to OKC you can bet the BNSF tracks where under water also./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/shocked.gif The Walnut river usually floods the tracks at Winfield. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jim,

We spent most of the day Thursday @ the State Fair.. No rain in the morning, shower @ noon & misted the rest of the time we were in Hutchsion.. All the while we were hearing about the rain in Wichita.. We could have taken some of you rain as we got seven tenths inch all day.. Hope Ike dies before he gets here.. Keep your powder dry..

BulletBob

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Bob,
So far, this year is the second wettest on Record. We are at 46in. ytd. The record for all twelve months is 52in, set in 1951. It is most likely that we will break the record. Fortunately, the RR embankments, roadbed and structures have held up fairly well. Some of the ballast has suffered.
I have four days to get ready for visitors StanC. and JJ, on respective Thursdays [They are stopping while on the way to Marty's.]. The HedgeApple RioGram is looking forward to getting a new locomotive from Stan to run the coal trains.
JimC.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Ike is finally past Chicago. Looks like the Michigan Penninsula his him now.

Sophira leaks water and I can about swim inside my car today. Tomorrow is supposed to be partly cloudy, so I'll try to vacume (vaccuum for Ralph) out most of the water and leave her windows down to try to dry out.

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
I left south western Ny Saturday morning in a hard rain. Got to Niagara Falls where it was foggy. Met up with someone who drove from NF to Toronto. It was foggy all day until dinner time when it turned rainy. Rained all night long but was sunny hot and humid with strong winds all day for the drive home. Not sure when it started raining but we lost power about 10 last night and it came back on about 3:30 this morning. Woke to wetness outside but no real rain. It's been windy this morning but nothing compared to Ike heading north of us. I'll see what needs cleaned up at lunchtime. It was still dark out when I left for work this morning.

Chas

1 - 12 of 12 Posts