G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I added a Massoth eMotion XL DCC decoder to my Piko 25 Ton battery powered Clean Machine removing their circuit board under the cab floor and replacing it with this decoder.
Since this unit had no track pickup shoes (the cleaning shoes were used there) I added under
the wheel well two Bachmann passenger car wheel wipers that work just great.

I now have a Piko Track Cleaner with lights and power all track DCC powered and controlled.
Now this engine has plenty of power and speed and now without batteries, runs forever.

I wasn’t thinking of sound but that now leaves the entire engine compartment where the
batteries were for that purpose where it should fit. I would probably use the radiator as a place to put the speaker.

For me the DCC works fine and I enjoy it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Greg
The motor nameplate on the bottom says it’s rated 0 to 24VDC at 48VA. The battery output
is 9VDC. So if run on the batteries it’s essentially running at approximately 1/3rd of its
capable speed which to me seemed somewhat slow, plus in 1 1/2 hours or so the batteries were depleted.

Of course on DCC, you get the full voltage range at full throttle (20-24V) and the increased speed which now matches all my other locos.

Adding DCC is a perfect match for this motor. It’s essentially now equal with my other
locos, has great power, and since making this modification over a year ago, it’s been
100% reliable, and super fun to run.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts