G Scale Model Train Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts
G

·
Posted By Bucksco on 10/19/2008 8:42 PM
Toad,
No need to apologize for not liking the train- that is indeed your right. It's the "Pinko" thing that is in poor taste.

Well I felt like I needed to after the letter I received from you.

Toad

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Odd discussion.
Mayhaps simply a typo adding a "n" to Piko........
Or, mayhaps since Sonneberg WAS in East Germany......
Mayhaps also some of us who were active miltarily during the cold war tend to still use terms like that.

G

·
Posted By Curmudgeon on 10/19/2008 9:37 PM
Odd discussion.
Mayhaps simply a typo adding a "n" to Piko........
Or, mayhaps since Sonneberg WAS in East Germany......
Mayhaps also some of us who were active miltarily during the cold war tend to still use terms like that.

No Dave, I was making fun of Piko by calling them Pinko and Buckso did not like it and just sent me a letter, that is all.
Toad

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Ah, so.
Kind of like "ventilators".

This may be more entertaining than that one, tho.

Stand by!

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Um... I think the Pinko thing is funny as all get out! No "need" for you to apologize is correct Toad - in fact, I for one say keep 'em coming!!

And Brian - I was thinking the same thing!! Those side rods and underframe look like Playmobile quality detail! (Man - the LGB fools are freaking out over some Chinese knock-offs that have shown up this weekend, but if THIS is the level of detail and design we get from the resurected G45/Silvergate/LGBoA/Piko/Toy Train Maker/"hey look at us, we have NO CLUE what a "model" is, only playskool toy choo-choos" German train manufacturers - then I say bring on the Chinese!!)

Oh - and yes, before anyone wigs out and starts emailing admins or others saying I've unfairly grouped non-similar companies together, I beg to differ... as far as I can tell, they all make toys... not models.

And I had such high hopes after the Taurus was shown. Thought maybe, someone, somewhere had finally listed to the passionate pleas of a generation of large scale model railroaders that have been begging for accurately scaled offerings... oh well.

Huh... maybe in time, Marklin will step up to the plate.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
High hopes?

Nah.

This is almost getting to "Who's on first?"

ABBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Needed a break from "Well, Stanley, here's another fine mess......"

I do hope those controlling posts remaining in place understand where those quotes are from.......

G

·
Posted By vsmith on 10/03/2008 9:01 AM
Little spartan on details, but I can add anything I think is missing like sandpipes, handrails, and cab details, but I'm very interested to see how this works operationally once someone gets there hands on it.

As Vic has already said it. It is hard for me to pay $300.00 for a set when I know I will have to kitbash it to look at more correct or the way I want it to.
And yeah I have kitbashed some that people would not even think to do.
Toad

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Posted By Ole Toad Frog on 10/19/2008 9:46 PM
No Dave, I was making fun of Piko by calling them Pinko and Buckso did not like it and just sent me a letter, that is all. Toad

Jack is a sensitive lad, afterall.

-Brian

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Posted By Curmudgeon on 10/19/2008 11:56 PM
High hopes?

Nah.

This is almost getting to "Who's on first?"

ABBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Needed a break from "Well, Stanley, here's another fine mess......"

I do hope those controlling posts remaining in place understand where those quotes are from.......

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
If the set is geared more to children thaen it ain't bad. Less moving pieces in the drive train means less chance of a pinched finger. Why freak over a starter set that is geared to kids.
LAO

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
As long as we understand prior to submitting our economically stressed funds that these are toys and not scale models, hey, I'm game.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
I was just in Toys R Us Saturday getting presents for my nephews. On the shelf, below the RC cars, were the new Lionel Hogwarts Express and Polar Express sets (the G scale versions). Both are plastic, battery operated and selling for $140 a piece. How much are the Bachmann starter sets running these days? In the $175 range now. Aristo starter sets are about $250. This set at $300 is pricey but it appears to be well made, and robust. Don't think it is worth it? Don't buy it. From what I have seen by giving nephews train sets, the Bachmann doesn't hold up, the Hartland 0-4-0 somehow got destroyed, but the LGB remains OK. Recently, I got a Playmobile 2-4-0 steam engine. Aside from its missing side rod, which is more crude than the Piko, this engine still runs fine. My 2 year old Nephew likes it a lot (even though it is not a diesel). I suspect that this engine will handle the beatings my son Luke will give it in a few short years. Now that I am a dad, I am seeing toys in a whole new light: durabiltiy. Luke's going to need toys that can handle some serious abuse.

I see O gauge starter sets in the $350 range, and they seem to sell well. Not much better detail than this set.

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
The hostility on this thread is really odd. I like it, I might buy one, I have a lot of kids visiting my little railway, and they tend to break stuff. I'd like something robust and reliable and easy for them to handle. I'd rather have th kidns and neighbors visiting ad having fun than have a perfect model, but for some reason it seems important to trash new offerings by any maker

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Posted By Fritz on 10/20/2008 2:50 PM
Now that I am a dad, I am seeing toys in a whole new light: durabiltiy. Luke's going to need toys that can handle some serious abuse.

Try this: http://www.spassbahn.de/attachment.php?id=26249 Its only 29,99 Euro. aybe even Made in Germany and you can dispose it at the fireplace.

Have Fun

Fritz / Juergen

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Posted By lownote on 10/20/2008 3:20 PM
The hostility on this thread is really odd. I like it, I might buy one, I have a lot of kids visiting my little railway, and they tend to break stuff. I'd like something robust and reliable and easy for them to handle. I'd rather have th kidns and neighbors visiting ad having fun than have a perfect model, but for some reason it seems important to trash new offerings by any maker

I suspect there may be more than a little LGB withdrawal going on still

Personally I like the looks of it, sure its spartan on the details but thats why Ozark is in business. Its a nicely proportioned small tanker thats more affordable than the USA version and will work better on smaller layouts like mine. The only caviet I have is to see where it prices out once it hits the US shores, if its too much I'll simply balk and do without, but then I'm poorest guy here hobby budget wise, so no-ones surprised by that here ( No Torby, you got a flipping Mallet so you dont count
).

The basic thing is really simple, if you dont like it or the way it looks, then buy the USA version, its better detailed, comes with sound, but you'll have to fork over at least $450. That was simple wasnt it?

21 - 40 of 59 Posts