G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gotten tired of using butane grill lighters to fire my K28. One must work a safety tab and pull the trigger (tends to be awkward) and then the flame often blows out just as I stick it into the smokebox. Grumble!

Since some grills use piezoelectric ignitors, I searched Google and came up with this:

At its tip are two electrodes and, when I push the button, a very healthy spark jumps between them. Here's what the tip looks like:

It's easy to use. Stick the tip into the smokebox, crack the gas valve until you can just hear the gas flowing and push the button. I tried it out for the first time today and the loco lighted off on the first try. During the session, I shut the gas off a couple of times and then relighted the flame very easily.

Piezoelectric crystals have the happy characteristic of putting out a brief pulse of high voltage electricity when deformed. In ignitors, a spring-loaded hammer bashes the crystal when one pushes the button and the electrical pulse arcs across the electrodes at the tip. The manufacturer claims that it puts out a 10,000 volt pulse. At any rate, it does not require any batteries and it does not contain any fuel. So, it should last for a while.

I bought mine from Digitalfoto in Brooklyn. You can find several vendors by doing a Google search on "piezoelectric ignitors."

Llyn

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I've seen those advertisements. Since I have, on occasion, had substantial tounges of flame come out through the smoke box door for an instant, I like to be able to stand well out of the line of fire when I tourch the engine off.

Llyn

·
Premium Member
6,296 Posts
using butane grill lighters to fire

My gas grill lighters all have piezo crystal igniters in the tip. I often find that, when I squeeze the trigger, the loco gas lights before the lighter!

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, Pete, I've noticed that too. However, with the one I've shown in this thread, you don't have to wrestle with the spring-loaded safety lever and the trigger to get it to fire. Guess it's mostly a matter of preference.

Llyn

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Llyn; what's the o.d. of the ignitor's flex shaft? Hoping it will go down through the stack area, on my aristo mike, with the stack removed. Thanks Jim

·
Premium Member
6,296 Posts
you don't have to wrestle with the spring-loaded safety lever and the trigger

Lyn,

No argument from me that a one-fingered version is better!

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The tip has an oval cross section which I measured to be 0.396" wide by 0.219" thick. The flexible section is 1/4" diameter.

Llyn

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ron Brown of Steam in the Garden magazine sellls a Piezoelectric igniter. There is usually an ad for it in each issue. I have been usuing one for some time time and it works great. Give Ron a try.

Don

1 - 15 of 15 Posts