G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,
So what happened to the picture posting ICON?????

Posted a few pictures a couple weeks ago, no problem,
tonight I can't find any way to do it.
What gives???

Thanks for any information.
Later
Rick

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Rick.
The icon is gone for right now (until Shad can fix the gremlins)
A simple way is to type in
followed by the URL source of the image - most likely from your "gold space" = I use the "copy shortcut" function
follwed by .
That will get your picture loaded...

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Duncan, I did what you said. I can't get it to work very well. I wanted to put all of my text first followed by the image. It didn't work. Some of the text is above the picture and some is after. Very frustrating!!!

Is there any idea when to Forum will be fixed so that it is easier to post links and pictures, like the old one was?

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Here is what I tried:

I run 2 4.5 A/H packs. They are 4/3A-FAUX cells. Here is an example of the batteries, an AirWire receiver and a P5 sound system in a GP-38.

It doesn't work correctly. It cuts the text off. When I put the text last, it doesn't work correctly either.

Is it going to be this difficult to do this kind of stuff here forever?

·
Administrator
5,695 Posts
Yes, the are needed. Yes, there is a space between img and src. As for how long this will last, I can't say as I don't know. As for it being difficult, there are 12 characters - including the space and not including the URL - to type to post an image. Under the old forum with the [ img][ /img] tags, there were 11 characters not including the URL to do the same thing. &nbsp :) &nbsp It probably only seems difficult because it's unfamiliar. After you use it for a little while, it will become second nature just like the old forum was. &nbsp :)

·
Administrator
5,695 Posts
Well it seemed to work.
Oh ye of little faith. hehehe &nbsp ;)

No problem Rick. The original Rich Text Editor that we had when the new forum started up was disabled because of incompatibilities - mostly with the Apple guys. Shad's checking out a new one, but he isn't going to implement it until he's satisfied that it will work as advertised across all platforms. In the meantime, we have what we have, warts and all. &nbsp :)

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
The other frustrating thing is that the preview is not the same as the actual post. When the preview is wrong, the picture might be correct.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Mostly the difference with the Preview is with the line-feeds.[*]If you put in one then in Preview it still looks like it's on the same line.[*]If you put in two, then in Preview it looks like there'll be no blank line between paragraphs.[/list]

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
I always use [*img] tags, but you can use html if you know it.

HTML lets you do tricks like this.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well Dwight,
The posting of one picture worked just fine.

I just spent 45 min. posting 6 pictures and writing a bunch of text, the preview said everything was just fine so I hit the submit button and the whole thing went to ****, because it sure didn't go to the forum. Not the first time this has happened but it damn sure is the last. I'll look but I sure won't try to contribute again until this can of worms gets sorted out.
Thanks for your time.
Rick Marty

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
gee, the image button still works.

In fact all the fancy edit buttons work fine.

The thing that caused all the problems was, the automatic conversion of links interfered with the Rich Text Editor. 

So shad removed the rich text editor from the compose post screen. 

Then he discovered that the hyperlink conversion also caused the sever to crash and he removed the auto conversion code. But he  never put the richh text editor back on the compose post page. Seemed to me he should, and it would work.

The trick is, how to get to all those neat buttons for editing and formatting.

It is simple

1. RIGHT Click on "send Message" right below any of the posters avatars in the left column.
  2. click on open in new window.
  3. compose and edit your post and pictures using the tool bars.
  4. click "SOURCE" button on the tool bar
  5. click select all button from the tool bar.
  6. click the copy button on the tool bar
  7. Now go back to the window and reply to the subject. Just press control "V" to past all the facy formatted  stuff there. 

Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their garden railroad. 

Now is the time for all good men

table

tables work too!

to come to the aid of their garden railroad. 

Now is the time for all good men to
come to the aid of their garden railroad. 

1. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their garden railroad. 
  2. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their garden railroad. 
  3. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their garden railroad. 

[*]Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their garden railroad. 

[*]Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their garden railroad. 
[/list]

·
Registered
80 Posts
Has anybody 'fixed'the picture posting ???????????????????????????

I was an active participant but since the 'new' version has made it so damn difficult to post a picture ,I have chosen to post elseware.....

A perfect example of 'IF IT AIN'T BROKE.....DONT FIX IT'
or at least know how to fix it.......................

·
Old Senior Member
1,456 Posts

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Okay! Those that know me well enough will take this as a bit of blowing off some steam so to speak and take it in the semi- sarcastic/frustrated/humorous way it was intended.

I understand the whole code thing and for what it's worth I gave up a couple weeks ago after loosing several posts and the pictures associated. But I am not someone who wanted to write computer code every time I wished to participate or contribute to any forum. Typing messages is frustrating enough with out having to worry if each [. {,,),^,or* is placed properly and we're not even talking about what has to be done if you are unfortunate enough to have to edit something and you've used the dreaded "smilies".

I kinda see it like this.

Having owned and/or run a restaurant or 20 in my day it equates to having your guests walk through the door and then handing them an apron, knife, raw food, etc, etc, etc for their meal and then tell them to "have at it". All the while they have to know, understand and apply all of the intricate and proper techniques for preparation and safe handling of their food. Not exactly what they'd expect.

Believe you me I am not trying to start any long tangent on things so please don't and I'm definitely not trying to slight what Shad, SteveC, Deeeeewight and the rest have had to go through past and/or present but enough is enough. Ya'll have given it that ol'College try in making this new forum work and it obviously doesn't or will take the better part of this deacade and the next to figger out. Let's just go back to the original forum. (yes yes I know what the answer is but remember what I said at the beginning.....) Running it can't be any more of a headache and expense for all the "Powers" when compared to this "charlie foxtrot" and it certainly was not a headache for us in the rank and file.

Sorry gang just had to get it off my chest.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
ok, i'm gonna sound really stupid here.

I've been trying to post some pictures. I can post one or two in a single post fine. I want post a group of photos from my 1st Class storage, and be able to caption each picture. I've seen this done all the time with steam ups and builds. How do I do it?

Thanks,

Kent

1 - 20 of 64 Posts