G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to get my pictures to post using the URL link or copy and paste.

Cliff

Is there a limit to the number of pics that can be posted at one time? I have resized them to 640x480 but I can't seem to post  20 of them at once?

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Hi Stumpy,

Well you did it in your test that is OK, I think that 20 in one go is a bit much, as they take a time to load, some are still on dial up lines Also for you to load them into your wenbspace (looking at the size of the test I think you have compressed them as well - good! all helps to make for faster loading time, to put them in. It will also allow you o have more in in the end.

A better number would be about 7 to 10, per message with a note as part of the topic heading like - 'lots of photos' so those with the slooow lines have some warning.

My last big message (e CCRR #7)  has five in the first posting, they do take up a fair amount of space, but you can always add a reply to addd some more.  Another web group I ise only allow one so I do that regularly!

Don't forget that you can edit the topic heading by going to the first posting if required.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, Thank you pPeter for the help. I have been geting frustrated as I have tried to post these pictures 2 or 3 already. So, I will limit the number of pictures to 7 per post and warn the dial up people about it. Thanks again, Cliff

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Steve, is there a reason why you posted this thing so many times? I think I counted at least 4!!!!!
Dwight, thank you for the link, I will try it tonite, here in a little bit.

steve, those are from the HAGARS Show last year, great job on them !!

Cliff

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Posted By stumpycc on 03/18/2008 10:08 PM

Steve, is there a reason why you posted this thing so many times? I think I counted at least 4!!!!! «snip...»

steve, those are from the HAGARS Show last year, great job on them !! «snip...»

Cliff

You were having a problem with posting the 20 images and I was trying to figure out why. So I copied down the first 22 files from your MLS 1st Class web space to my local system and tweaked the images a bit, and also compressed each a bit more so that none were 45KB in file size.

I then tried posting all of them in one single reply and it wouldn't work for me either. So I backed up and tried 5, which worked. Then I went back and started at three and worked my way up to 7 in one reply which worked but slow, and at 8 it stopped working.

Then checking to see if it was the file size that was causing the hang up I went back and tried using 10 of my image files that I created for the FAQ area that all total didn't exceed 40KB in combined file size, and still when I tried exceeding 7 seven images in one reply the system hung.

What I would suggest is that for the best bet of getting multiple images to post reliably to stick with 5 per reply. I see that your currently doing 7 per post. Are you encountering any long time lag between submitting and when you are returned to the topic with your reply posted?

So that's why all the reposting of the exact same images, I know it looks nuts on the surface. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif:D

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
and also compressed each a bit more so that none were 45KB in file size.
IMO, there is definately such a thing as too much jpeg compression! ;)
sure, you can get photos below 45k, but at a price..that price being seriously degraded photo quality and really bad looking photos.

(I dont mean to start this arguement again) but IMO 100k is really a practical "maximum" file size to shoot for these days..
100k is still plenty small, but without so much compression that they still look like nice photos..

Scot

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Posted By Scottychaos on 03/19/2008 5:06 PM

and also compressed each a bit more so that none were 45KB in file size.
IMO, there is definitely such a thing as too much jpeg compression! ;)
sure, you can get photos below 45k, but at a price..that price being seriously degraded photo quality and really bad looking photos.

(I don't mean to start this argument again) but IMO 100k is really a practical "maximum" file size to shoot for these days..
100k is still plenty small, but without so much compression that they still look like nice photos..

Scot

Scot

Except that my concern was to identify where the problem was coming from with posting multiple images in a single reply, and I wasn't concerned with image quality.

Then there is the concern regarding those individuals that don't have any choice on the type of connection they have and are stuck on slow old style dial-up connections.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, Thanks Steve, that is a big help. Yes, I did have a bit of "lag time" when I was posting seven but I got it done. I think the time of day had alot to do with it too. I do appreciate all the help and effort you put into this. I enjoyed seeing the HAGARS photos from last year, it is amzing how much the module has changed over the past year. ( it also reminds me I still have them on here and have forgot about them.)

Thanks again Steve.

Cliff

1 - 15 of 15 Posts