G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found an excellent thread started by "Stack Talk" back in 2016 on detailing an Aster Chapelon Nord 231 - unfortunately most of the photos appear to be missing.

I was wondering if there is any way to recover these missing pictures as a lot of the value of the thread is lost without them?

Many thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,132 Posts
I was wondering if there is any way to recover these missing pictures as a lot of the value of the thread is lost without them?
Afraid not. The new owners of this website "lost" all the owner files around that time and have refused to (a) acknowledge that anything happened or (b) to restore them.

There's a long thread of frustration here:
Can't access my 1st Class web space

·
Administrator
439 Posts
Afternoon. The images in that thread link to jamcraft.net, which is not a site we manage. The links are all broken because that site likely no longer allows hotlinking from other sites. I can check on this further but all of the links point outside of this site and were not uploaded using the site attachment system. I also tried the image links on another site that I use for testing and the links will throw the same error when trying to add them to reply using "insert image".

Here is a link to the directory where those images reside - Index of /Stuff/Aster-Nord

The only way to get them to work would be to copy each individual image and paste them into a thread, which would then upload them directly to the site (or save them to your computer and upload them that way).

-Mike

·
Premium Member
7,132 Posts
I also tried the image links on another site that I use for testing and the links will throw the same error when trying to add them to reply using "insert image".
Mike, Mr Admin,
You clearly haven't been here long enough to realize that most of the frustration is with the photos in our Mylargescale.com folders: 1stclass.mylargescale.com.

Tell us where the photos are for this thread:

·
Administrator
439 Posts
Mike, Mr Admin,
You clearly haven't been here long enough to realize that most of the frustration is with the photos in our Mylargescale.com folders: 1stclass.mylargescale.com.

Tell us where the photos are for this thread:
Unfortunately, I haven't been here long enough to know about that example thread, but I can certainly see if I can get it fixed. I do get the frustration (as a heavy forum user myself). My reply further up was a direct answer to the original posters question. It wasn't my intention to gloss over the other feedback.

-Mike

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Afternoon. The images in that thread link to jamcraft.net, which is not a site we manage. The links are all broken because that site likely no longer allows hotlinking from other sites. I can check on this further but all of the links point outside of this site and were not uploaded using the site attachment system. I also tried the image links on another site that I use for testing and the links will throw the same error when trying to add them to reply using "insert image".

Here is a link to the directory where those images reside - Index of /Stuff/Aster-Nord

The only way to get them to work would be to copy each individual image and paste them into a thread, which would then upload them directly to the site (or save them to your computer and upload them that way).

-Mike
Hi Mike - Thank you - and others - so much for replying to my question. The reason I asked was because I was considering purchasing this loco at the time ....

Aster Gauge 1 Electric Chapelon's Nord 4-6-4, RC Fitted

However, I decided not to go ahead for a couple of reasons ....
  • I have never bought an electric version of a steam prototype before and I shall continue to search for a live steam version.
  • I was not happy with the R/C installation - specifically I doubt 10xAA cells would give sufficient run time with a prototypical train of CIWL LXs - (anyone care to comment?)
  • The fact that it's still for sale may indicate it's priced a little too high.

That index of images will undoubtedly come in handy when I eventually find a Nord 231 as the level of Aster detailing in 1988 was nowhere near as good as it is on their later models when I think it peaked around the mid 2000s if my 140C Dabeg is anything to go by.

Anyway - thanks again for your contribution - it's good to know that these old lost images can sometimes still be recovered.(y)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.