G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I put this in another forum already, but no help so far so I thought I would move it to this one where more people visit.

Suddenly i am getting the following message when I open MLS Web Site and try to access the forums:

Trend Micro PC cillin Internet Security

Warning: Phishing Web Site

The web site you wish to open shows signs of involvement in phishing . . . .

Address: http://pagead2.googlesyndica (the rest is hidden and unreadable by me)
Credibility: Dangerous (in Red)
Category: Phishing
Suggestion: Close web browser and do not repoen this web site.

Am I the only one getting these warnings and if so, why should they suddenly come up after I have visited here
for more than five years, maybe longer.

I have done nothing new to my computer that I am aware of, no changes, no new software, no new hardware.

I have had Trend Micro PC cillin on my computer for two years and as i have said, this warning has never come
up in the past. It has come up at other times.

So, can some of you computer whizes tell me what is going on? Do I need to stop coming here forever as suggested
or is something else going on?

Thanks,

John

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
My "GUESS" is that your copy of Trend Micro has been updated (an automatic function) and Trend Micro has for some reason decided that the address you listed is now a Phishing site. I vaguely remember a similar complaint several months ago and that Shad had to contact either or both Trend Micro and/or Googlesyndication and let them duke it out (possibly via their lawyers) as to whether the place is actually a "dangerous" site. These sorts of things have cause defamation of character and restraint of trade lawsuits at times.

I believe that you should be able, somewhere within the Trend Micro PC Cillin program, make the site listed as acceptable, but since I don't have that program I cannot tell you how.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
John

Since the term Phishing refers to the following actions on the Internet...Phishing: (fish´ing) (n.) The act of sending an e-mail to a user falsely claiming to be an established legitimate enterprise in an attempt to scam the user into surrendering private information that will be used for identity theft. The e-mail directs the user to visit a Web site where they are asked to update personal information, such as passwords and credit card, social security, and bank account numbers, that the legitimate organization already has. The Web site, however, is bogus and set up only to steal the user’s information.
...and I don't think that you were receiving an eMail while logging on to the MLS web site, I would say that it's a pretty good indication that the software is giving you a false indication of a problem. While I do run various protective software programs on my system, I don't run your specific software and to date I've not gotten any warning about Phishing. So I wouldn't worry about it, however I've also put a posting in the moderators forum for Shad's attention.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Usually what happens is there's an advertising link, banner ad, or other referring link in the page that goes to something the software considers suspect. It used to happen a lot with one of the structural supplies sites, for the same reason.

Probably not MLS at all, just an advertiser link or web crawler at work.

Matthew (OV)

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
For some reason Trend Micro has marked Google's ad server as a phishing site. Most likely, a fishing site had Google ads on it and consequently, Google's ad hosting site got flagged. I suspect that Trend will fix it quickly, as this has a large impact potential.

Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do to fix this. It's not myLargescale.com that's being reported. I love how intrusion prevention software has become so intrusive. It's really frustrating. The best defense against a phishing site is common sense, not intrusive software.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
As Abe Lincoln once said: "You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time."

And you can very easily annoy most of the people entirely by accident.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Those that don't understand how annoying they really are, are one thing, but then there are those that are deliberately annoying!

I refuse to patronize any manufacturer or retailer that annoys me in their advertising (or place of business).

That makes it hard to buy an automobile (shouting, loud & obtrusive "music", and outright baloney lies; "Lowest price of the year this week only!", "Hurry, sale ends soon!")

or electronics (I can't hear myself think in Best Buy),

or to find a fast food eatery (Shouting, loud/objectionable "music", portraying patrons as uncivil pigs that can't chew with their mouth closed... "slurp, munch, chew, drool, slurp, slop"),

but the money burning a hole in my pocket is the only weapon I have against the annoyances.

I went 1st class here on MLS to eliminate the annoying advertising. Unfortunately, the "ads by google" are still present. I accept the forum sponsorship ads as long as they are unobtrusive (I have even deliberately patronized one!), but if they go animated, or I have to click on something to proceed to the part of the website I am here for, they'll end up on my "list".

·
Registered
514 Posts
You will be pleased to know that WOT, a Firefox add-on, gives this web site the thumbs up for trustworthiness and privacy. It is undecided about vendor reliability and child safety.

·
Administrator
5,695 Posts
Something else that really bugs me is the ever growing number of web sites that want to download Google Toolbar to my computer. I already have and use the Google Toolbar (its spelling checker is really handy on MLS and other forums) so I certainly have nothing against the tool itself, but why a web site needs to try and install it on my computer is something I don't understand, especially when said web site has nothing whatsoever to do with Google, searching, or utility programs. I'm sure that money is changing hands someplace, but that's a poor reason to employ such practices imho. When I site tries it, I'll never go back to it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts