G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my first steamup!:D:eek: i will be there friday morning- afternoon.
who is going? i will bring my ruby and some rolling stock. :)
now for a few questions: how is the run time? is the gauge one track very busy? also, are there any "rules" i should be aware of? also, would any one be willing to let me try my hand at coal firing;)?

......and will somebody please bring a pennsy T-1 and a SR&RL 24?;)

nate:D

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
The PLS gauge one tracks can get busy. I will suggest that you watch what is going on while you are not running. Where we steam up and how to safely navigate from a steaming bay out to a main line. Care must be taken if this requires crossing over another main line. Being sure to return the turnout throws back to the correct position, so as not to derail someones engine & train. Ask questions if your not sure, and NEVER ASSUME IT WATER !, water and alcohol look the same! ( many of us add some food coloring to our alcohol, but not everyone does this)
Can't help you with the coal firing all my engines are alcoholics :>) You will probably see a T-1, not so sure about the roundhouse.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are you talking about the portable green track or the permanent PLS track? have two trains ever collided at the diamond? can 2 trains run on the same track? my ruby can run with another trains as it usually only pulls 2 b-mann cars or less, and it has R/C.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Nate,

There are a few rules -- or, perhaps, to sound less harsh, "best practices" -- that are followed at any meet:

1. You should be self-contained: that means bring your own water, fuel, steam oil, other lubricating oil, batteries for R/C, tools. Yes, others will not hesitate to help out if you're a newbie and having difficulties or left something at home, but you shouldn't assume that tools or supplies will be provided.
2. Busy tracks (Diamondhead or ECLSTS, for example) will have sign-up boards. That should be self-explanatory.
3. General practice is to only have one train on one track at a time. It's possible to share a track with another operator, but only if the two of you agree to it. Having R/C doesn't ensure that you can share the track. It has its limitations and is not a guarantee that you can control your train under all circumstances, especially if you get distracted and lose sight of the other train.
4. Corollaries to #3: Old-fashioned (76Mhz) R/C is prone to glitching and can't be relied on; New-fangled R/C (2.4Ghz) is glitch-resistant, but is unpredictable when RX battery voltage gets below a certain threshold or if you lose TX-RX binding. Resist the temptation to "set it and forget it".
5. As Jeff pointed out in an earlier posting, proper etiquette is to always reset turnouts when you've run your train through them. Equally true when in a yard or when exiting on to or off of a main line.

None of this is meant to scare you off or think that live steam meets are rule-bound. Far from it. You will generally find that other small-scale live steamers are very sociable, willing to share knowledge and non-judgemental. Enjoy your first steamup!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had LOTS of fun! i met many nice people, and bob put a new o-ring on my safety valve(thanks bob!. she pulled really well:). she only had two accidents.:eek: the first was when i was filling the gas i forgot to hold my hand under her to keep her still, and she flipped of the elevated part of the PLS track, and i JUST caught her with my pinky right before she smashed into the ground... Whew! good save.. the second was when she hit a dip in the rails on the outer track and she jumped off the rails and luckily it was on the ground level part of the track. just ask any of the guys there about my coupler problem...:p other that that, everything went great. I got to se a sandy river 24, a t-1, a GN s-2, and accucraft mogul and many more.:D i only ventured to the portable track once, and i saw the SRRL and the mogul there. i stayed all but a minute as nobody wanted to talk to me there:p i got about 4 good runs in and a lot of the time the track was empty. i took a ride on the 7.25 Ga. and that was nice. i met bob, tom, will jeff,brittany and the man that owned my ruby before me. (his name slips my mind) i didnt get to see a coal fired though. i accidentally ran real low/out of water on my 2nd to last run. (luckily i caught it soon enough, so no damage happened, in fact, nobody noticed!:cool: i wish i could come back tomorrow..:( BTW if any body finds a little piece of stiff wire in the yard track area, its my throttle-servo connecting rod.;) overall, it was a great day!

nate

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
It is refreshing to see young people enthusiastic about live steaming. I wish there were more. Tom - thanks for the photo.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks tom. i was going to take pictures/ videos but i didnt know the camera card was almost out of memory. i did get a little video of tom running his british 0-6-0 (sorry , i dont know what its called) and jeff running his S-2.

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
Nate

If you "stayed but all but a minute" you should not be surprised. Unless you had your locomotive, you were just another younger kid wandering around the club looking at stuff going on. If you were there for "just a minute" I suspect you did not try to introduce yourself. You will find that a lot of "old guys" who are focused on running their trains or just BSing with each other will not stop to talk to other folks [of any age] unless that person initiates a conversation. Next tiime have someone from the other track introduce you, or just say " Hi, I was just running my Ruby on the other track, what's happening here" [or something like that]. I know it isn't always easy if you are a younger guy trying to fit into an adult [chronologically] setting. Glad you had fun. I had a bug and did not want to share it so I stayed home. That took a lot since I had planned to have my PRR H10 boiler tested in hopes of running on the 1 in track.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jim, i tried to talk to this guy about his engine, and when i asked him a question about it, he looked at me really grumpy, and then returned to running his engine. i hightailed it out of there!

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
Yes... there are some GRUMPY OLD MEN in this hobby. I had someone come to one of my meets and there were some younger kids [8-10] there watching. He came over and said, "They kids don't belong here, you should not invite them back". Guess who has not come back...

Next time you are at Mike's portable track, please ask for him by name. My guess is he was doing gate duty or something. Sorry for your first experience turning out like this. Brittany started at an early age, but she had a long-time club member running interference for her in the very beginning. Once folks get to know who you are, and see that you can keep your unbridled enthusiam in check around a bunch of OLD PEOPLE you will be OK.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jim, other that that,and me getting yelled at for stepping on the 7 1/4 gauge track because i was told i could have broken it:eek:, my experience was fine!:) i hope to become an associate member and go to hopefully the turkey trot (g scale only) and the spring meet;). like i said, at my track everyone was helpful and nice and i got to see a lot of neat steam engines too.:D mike moore introduced himself and he was very nice, so i think if i did put in a lot of effort to talk to people at the "other track" they would have been fine. i am jealous of you guys that were there yesterday and today!

take care

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
questions of younnsters

I knaow how sometimes it can get frustrating while you are trying to run your engines.
What gets me ,is the little squirts know more about the prototype of my engines than I do.
The day that I had my major trouble with the FEF, a squirt about 12 years old was giving evry detail that was known about the FEF 844.
Great that Nate had an oppurtunity to run his Ruby at the steamup.
I spend just about every Saturday afternoon at the Malll running trains for the kids.
Would not be a hobby without them

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
PLS meet

Just wanted to say thanks to all of you who made Nate feel welcome at the PLS meet on Fri. This could have been intimidating for a 13 yr old,but instead it was awesome for him! Tom,Jeff,Will,Bob and Mary(I'm sure there were more but these are the names I know)all treated Nate like he belonged and gave him some great pointers along the way! His dad and I know very little about live steam(Nate taught himself by researching and asking lots of questions)so we tried to stay out of the way. It was fun just for us to watch Nate being able to do what he loves with such a great group of people! So glad we able to be a part of this,Sherry Heffner(the mom!)

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
A few photos of an excellent steamup with great weather:

PLS steamup 16

Three coal fired locomotives in action yesterday.

A small video forth coming:

Got a couple of locomotives on video but forgot spare battery....

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
About that Tunnel at PLS

I don't want to be a nag, but I think I've asked this question before without getting an answer -- it's about that tunnel that you can see in some of the pictures above --

How long is that tunnel, and how big is the hill it's running through? It sure appears to be longer than the traditional "two arm lengths -- one reach from either side." If that's so, how do they handle de-rails? Is there a hidden maintenance opening?

thanx,

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the tunel is very long , and there is no access point on it.you either:

(A) hope you can reach your train.

(B) push it out with a stick, Ect.

(C) run another train in the tunnel and try to push/pull your train out.

and i almost forgot....

(D) Bring a shovel and dig out your train (i think a quarter stick of dynamite works the best)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts