G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is with great sadness that I must pass along the news that a very good friend and past co-worker of mine, Chuck Naeser, passed away recently. Many of you know Chuck from his often thoughtful and knowledgeable postings on this website. I knew Chuck for over 30 years. He and I worked in Geology and Geophysics at the US Geological Survey. We were both heavily involved in large scale railroading and shared many ideas and projects over the years.

I will miss him enormously as will his many friends and enthusiasts in both the DC and Phoenix areas and also on MLS.

Rest in peace old buddy.

Doc

·
Super Modulator
20,522 Posts
Wow, so sorry to hear this.

I've respected Chuck since the day I read his first post. We often communicated on issues, and a lot of information from him is on my web site.

He was so helpful, and ready to work on a problem and investigate.

What a great guy, and I'm sure the gates above were swung wide open for him.

Greg

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
RIP Chuck N

I am saddened to report the passing of one of the gentlemen who tried to help many of us on MLS, especially the novice. Many of you may have noticed his absence from the forums in recent months. Chuck N passed on November 18th. Chuck started his large scale railroading while in Denver, where he had a two level layout that included full LGB trolley catenary on the upper level. While there he was active in the Denver Garden Railway Society.

He transferred to the US Geological Survey headquarters in Reston Virginia and built a much smaller outdoor railroad, thinking he would return to Denver after a short time. Fortunately for me, this never occurred, and he assisted me and Doc Watson with several years of the USGS Holiday Train Exhibits. He also assisted my wife and me with The Colvin Run Mill Holiday Train Show for many years.

Chuck spent countless hours helping me with maintenance of the IE&W Railway, especially before our steam ups, even though he was an “electric man” to the end. When our meets began to include battery operated locomotives he ran his B&O ore train or his San Juan passenger train pulled by a K-28. Shortly before his illness we had enticed him to the dark side (live steam) through the purchase of an Aster Climax. Sadly, he never recovered to the point that he learned to run the locomotive.

Chuck was a wonderful guy who unstintingly shared his knowledge with anyone who asked for suggestions or help. He will greatly missed by those who knew him and benefited from his knowledge, skill, and participation in many events.

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
I attended Chuck's layout during the 1997 convention, and always enjoyed his posts here. My condolences to the family.

He will be missed.

David Meashey

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Jim.. Thank You.. I'm at a total loss.. I knew Chuck was ill.. & struggling. Tried to stay in touch.. Support and encourage Him.. He's met our group in AZ many years here.. I can't believe this.. All we can do is Pray for Nancy...

Saying he'll be missed doesn't even begin to cover the loss.....

Dirk Carmichael

·
Journeyman Lunatic
3,246 Posts
It's so sad to see this news. Though I never met him face to face, Chuck regularly helped me out over the years, especially when I was just getting started. His patient and detailed explanations for newcomer questions has been a huge service. A lot of folks will miss this knowledgeable and kind-hearted gentleman.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
This is certainly very sad news. I have known Chuck for a much shorter time then many others, as I am in the hobby about 6 years or so. It was quickly apparent that he was a kind and helpful gentleman. I finally met him at the Christmas layout, and at Dr Rivet's steamups, where we would sit on the steps and chat about all sorts of things. He even helped me fix my steam whistle on my C 16 by calling the maker, who described to me how to replace a hinge pin.
Chuck and his wife visited my layout to run his wandering Goose, which was great fun. He even invited me over to do some fishing in his backyard lake in the spring. Unfortunately I had shoulder surgery and could not do that. Now that will never happen......

Jerry

·
Registered
527 Posts
I was fortunate enough to have met Chuck several times over the past few years and he was one of the first guests that visited my layout. He was always helpful and supportive to me an other newcomers in the hobby. He will be missed. Prayers go out to his family.
Alan

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
OH NO... can't find the words now just as I struggled to find words of encouragement.
I was honored to have him run on my pike and several times I traveled with him to Dirk's and Allen's homes. A genuinely nice man, the hobby will miss him.
John

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
Chuck's ore train is at about 5:26 in the video of the 2013 Spring meet.

We had a small steam up today which is dedicated to his memory. Wind chill never exceeded 30 F and the winds were 25 to 30 with gusts to 40 mph. Six hardy souls braved the weather today.

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Sorry that our Hobby has lost another great modeler, and a great person, and a good motivator and teacher.
Dennis

·
Vendor
3,317 Posts
O my......... So very sorry to hear that. Chuck was a good friend and visited us many times when he and Nancy would come to Prescott. He'd drop Nancy in downtown Prescott to shop at the antique stores while he would come and run trains with me on the PCSRR...

I hadn't heard from him for a while since Kay and I had moved...

He will be greatly missed...

·
Registered
756 Posts
i am sorry to hear of his passing, we exchanged many pleasant posts and thoughts, and I met him a couple years back at a CRRM steam up. Capital fellow.
Ride the Zephyr , Chuck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts