G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Dan, what is your suggestion to program the tender, if you cannot have the loco connected? Would it make sense to make an adapter to connect to the tender and the rails without the loco?

Also, is there a version number range on the 55021 decoders to tell if your 55021 will do both 14 and 28 ss?

Greg

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Surprisingly I am back with the two 22194's. The new big LGB LOK book has been very helpful in figuring out which locos are likely to have factory decoders.
The LGB LOK book, as nice as it is, is actually wrong in this instance.

Seems they just copied the information from the 2006 LGB catalogue which is wrong as well.

That loco doesn't have an on-board decoder as the catalogue and the LOK book stated.

This loco, with the confusing information, is a good candidate for detailed info in the Large Scale database.
Does anyone have any additional information we could add there?
Like a wiring diagram or exploded parts diagram?
http://www.gbdb.info/details.php?image_id=1193

Knut

·
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hi Knut,

I don't have much to add so far.

You are correct in that I had found the same erroneous information about decoders in various LGB documentation. There are other significant errors in the LOK book including several missing LGB locos but it is a good reference book. One problem is that all prices are in DM and many US items do not have a list price. I had been looking for the other new LGB book but have been unable to locate it.

My main two disappointments in this loco are:

1. The tender has the small 2-4-0 tender style wheels which provide neither track contact nor provision for adding LGB ball bearing wheels with track contacts.

2. The "sound" is the same sound quality as that provided with the 2-4-0s with sound (nothing like the LGB digital sound quality of the rest of the LGB Moguls with digital sound).

I think the Vanderbilt tender looks out of scale with the loco but thats just my opinion.

All in all it is fair in that the price was considerably lower than other LGB Moguls with factory digital sound.

For now I will keep the one 22194 with a 2019s tender and Sierra Sound and run it under track power. I've put BB wheels on the tender and wired it so the loco has the extra 4 track contacts (it needs them).

I'm not willing to spend $200+ for two decoders on the other 22194 so I may try to figure out if I can use Digitrax DG583S decoders instead. I might use one LGB decoder in the loco and try putting an LGB 41352 sound board in the tender. Meanwhile I've added BB wheels to a boxcar behind the tender to get the extra track contacts.

For now I've moved from the 22194s to the Mikados (which are about done - fortunately all had decoders already) and now the F7's which are driving me nuts.

Thanks for the link to the 22194 manual. I don't think I had that one. I've never seen a 22194 parts diagram and believe it or not I have never had a Mogul apart (with my big hands I hate working on any loco).

Jerry

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
I have posted here in the past about how I added 1 power pickup to the 2-4-0 tender and also the wiring of the 5 pin connector for the 69232 which should be the same for the oil version as the oil tender and coal tender tie to the 2-4-0, so one could add the coal tender (69232) to the Mogul with the 5 pin connector. And some additional info was added by Stan Cedarleaf.

Greg, I did make a cable for testing just the tenders with the 5 pin connector.
When testing the tender the light is a 6 volt bulb.

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
LGB decoder versions are read by the MTS software and the info is in CV 7 plus CV 106.
CV106 is for the type of decoders. 192 is the 55021.
I have a 55021 at rev 2.8 (CV7 is 28) and does 28 speed steps. I also have 2.4 and 2.5 revs.
I think the 2.4 is 14 steps only, 2.5 will do 28 steps.

·
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I have posted here in the past about how I added 1 power pickup to the 2-4-0 tender and also the wiring of the 5 pin connector for the 69232 which should be the same for the oil version as the oil tender and coal tender tie to the 2-4-0, so one could add the coal tender (69232) to the Mogul with the 5 pin connector. And some additional info was added by Stan Cedarleaf.
Hi Dan, I have not been able to find that post yet but I will continue to look for it.

In the meantime I found this in my files:

Knowledge Database
In Deutsch
Number:

Title:
What decoders should be used with the LGB 22194 SP Mogul Steam Loco, Vanderbilt Tender, Sound?

Last modified:

To use this model with the LGB Multi-Train System, both engine and tender have to be equipped with decoders.

Engine:
The engine is equipped with a DCC interface to connect a decoder. Remove the plug on the decoder interface and connect the decoder. We recommend the 55027 MTS Loco Decoder III. Its plug fits directly onto the socket of the interface.

Hints:
- The plug of the decoder fits only in one direction onto the pins on the loco circuit board.
- If the decoder is removed, the original plug must be replaced on the DCC interface. Otherwise, the loco will not work.
- The power control switch does not work when a decoder is installed.

Tender:
The tender has a direct decoder interface. For Multi-Train System operation, it can be equipped with an LGB MTS Decoder (LGB 55021). The MTS Decoder Interface Cable (LGB 55026) is not required.

Hint: If this model is equipped with decoders, the digital/analog DIP switches on the tender circuit board must be set to OFF. The DIP switches should remain in this setting, even if the model is used on an analog layout.

Knowledge Database
In Deutsch
Number:

Title:
How do I synchronize the sounds on my decoder-equipped 22194 locomotive?

Last modified:

To use this model with the LGB Multi-Train System, both the engine and tender have to be equipped with decoders. (See FAQ 1243 for details.) Then, for the best sound synchronization, we recommend that the decoder CVs be reprogrammed to these values:

Tender Decoder (55021)
CV2 = 25
CV3 = 1
CV4 = 1

Engine Decoder (55027)
CV2 = 2
CV3 = 10
CV4 = 12

The tender decoder requires the load of the engine in order to reliably accept programming. To do this:
- Place the engine and tender on the programming track or connect the programming wires to the shoes of the engine.
- Connect the engine to the tender
- Place the engine cab switch in the number 3 (sound on) position, so that the sound tender decoder will accept programming information
- Reprogram the CV`s listed under “Tender Decoder” only. The tender decoder is now programmed correctly.
- Now, place the cab switch in the number 2, 1, or 0 (sound off) position, so that the sound tender decoder will not accept programming information, but the engine decoder will accept programming information
- Reprogram the CV`s listed under “Engine Decoder” only. The engine decoder is now programmed correctly.

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Jerry. you found great info.
The tender and engine get programmed as a set and then the engine gets reprogrammed separately.
I would add CV1 for the DCC address of the engine and tender.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Hi Dan, I have not been able to find that post yet but I will continue to look for it.
That's why I would like to add the wiring information to the database - that way everything is in one place

I also added a searchable pdf version of the old LGB Knowledge Database that one can download to their PC and then search on that locally

Knut

·
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I also added a searchable pdf version of the old LGB Knowledge Database that one can download to their PC and then search on that locally

Knut
Hi Knut,

That is good to know. I will have to find it and download the PDF.

Thanks,

Jerry

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Jerry,

Right now it's on the front page at www.gbdb.info

But it won't be there for long, I just got a batch of Bachmann items I need to add and it's always the last three items that show on the front page.

But you can always use the regular or advanced search to find an item.
The direct link for the LGB database page is here:
http://www.gbdb.info/details.php?image_id=7186

The download link is then at the bottom right.

I converted this from a local webpage someone sent me years ago to a searchable pdf - hopefully that conversion worked properly.
I tried a few searches to test and those worked fine so I assume the whole LGB database was converted correctly.

Knut

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Thanks, Jerry

I just pay for the server, try to keep the software running and make some enhancements now and then.

The "thanks" really go to LGB, Aristocraft, USA Trains, etc. etc. who gave permission to allow us to host their documentation on the site and the many people who contributed pictures and information.
I do a lot of the uploading and posting but most of the images come from other people.

Knut

·
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Time flies...

I just put the SP Mogul & tender on the tracks, connected them and turned power on.

I connected an LGB SP boxcar with LGB ball bearing wheels to the SP tender (the tender wheels have no power pick up).

The Mogul ran fine but the sound was not very good (I think it is the same sound as the LGB SP 2-4-0 tender).

The important thing is that after all this time it is up and running and I am happy with it.

Jerry

·
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hi Knut,

I just downloaded the information including the instructions for the LGB Southern Pacific Mogul from your website.

It was really helpful.

Thanks,

Jerry

21 - 35 of 35 Posts