G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it came out ok. Not the look I wanted, which was the dark green, almost black, but very much the color of a weathered Reading RS-3. I added a fw things--the roof gable detail above the window, Reading RS-3s always had that, and the horn--the orignal aristo horns were drastically different from the prototype. I took off the lobster eye marker lights and added one set of steam style marker lights on the front, which was typical for Reading, and added an exhaust pipe on the engineer's side, also typical. I didn't add the brake box that Reading put on the engineer's side--I ran out of gas on it.






Paint is krylon camo green with floquil Readign yellow trim. Stan the decals came out well. Now it needs some weathering, and some hard work




The much faded prototype


 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
467 Posts
Very nice!

I never had any luck fixing a messed up paint job. I usually ended up using a lot of toxic solvents, got covered in paint, stunk up the whole house, and made such a mess of the part I had to throw it in the garbage. That’s why all my current diesels are factory paint jobs only.

I must say I do like the Krylon Camouflage spray paints. They go on smoothly, cover well and dry quickly.

Congratulations on rescuing and painting a fine locomotive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
688 Posts
Beautiful loco, thanks for sharing.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,001 Posts
Looks like a great job to me. No sign of any paint problems that I can see. Also I've always liked the looks of the RS-1, 2 and 3.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top