G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have just purchased my first air brush. (Badger 200) This is a single action air brush. My question is about thinners. For enamels (specifically, this first use will be Humbrel paint) does it matter which thinner I use. Do I need to buy expensive hobby store Disol or equivalent - or- can I use the hardware store orderless(?) paint thinners? Are enamel paints purchased at hobby stores that much different from oil based enamels puchased at paint or big box stores?

Sorry if these questions are so basic, but I HATE to paint and so I have never learned the basics of model painting.

Dan

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
as long as you use the correct thinner for the type of paint lacquer for lacquer paints etc., the difference is basically, well the price....

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
For clean-up I normally just use lacquer thinner. It works great. It is getting hard to find and I just bought some of that new water based, milky looking stuff from Home Depot and was really surprised. It cleaned the Floquil right out of the guns (I was using two) and left them shiny clean. Also cleaned my hands right up. Don't know what the stuff is, but it sure works.

John

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Dan over here where Humbrol originated, Enamels should be thinned with White spirit. I don't know what you call it Stateside.
Just googled it, this is what it says,
"

White Spirits is basically USA speak for Mineral Turpentine. Slightly different formula but not by much, both share the same UN number. ...
Rod

1 - 5 of 5 Posts