G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since MLS is a full of folks who have great ideas,  I thought I would try and get some hints or suggestions for a project I am working on.   I started a builder's log, read here:

http://www.mylargescale.com/Features/BuildersLogs/tabid/66/BlogID/29/Default.aspx

Under the topic of paint schemes,  I posted some rough MS Paint versions of what I think might look good.  I'm interested in comments and feedback. 

Also,  because the locomotive is named after my dog, I decided to have some fun with the lettering.  I was going to just letter the tender with "M.R.R." for the Millersvillanova Rail Road.  However, when I drew that on a piece of paper, it occured to me that I could just as easily make it "G.R.R.R"    When I showed MB both of those choices,  she read out loud "GRRR!"  That sealed that deal.  

So, now I am polling all of you.  What could GRRR possibly stand for?  I was trying to think along the lines of something that would be important to a dog. 
Go Run RR
Gopher Ridge Railroad
Great Retriever Railroad
etc....

Some notes about Lucia's personality:
She's a little yellow labrador retriever who loves to play, especially chasing the ball.  Here's are a couple of pics.  This was after playing at the dog park for about 2 hours.

Thanks for any comments!

mark

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
RE: Paint Schemes and what does "GRRR" mean?

Genesee River Rail Road

Oh wait wrong part of the country. You toof ar south for that one.

Hmm?

Ok poked around on Yahoo maps. Glen Rock is South of York a little bit. How about Glen Rock railroad?

Chas

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chas,

I like where you are going with that!! 

There is a corporate park here called Granite Run and I thought that might be good, too.  

Vic,

Thanks!!  I couldn't get the Russia Iron color right on MS Paint. It'd probably be darker...  

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts

Mark,
Since the premise for my future railroad will be local and local railroads past & present I use my local history to guide me somewhat. Still trying to find that elusive photo of the Mason Bogie that run in this area 130 years ago! OH yeah I still do NOT have a fictional but plausible railroad name that I'm happy with.

Chas

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts

Remember "Russia Iron" is the color of a mirror.

I'd prefer a black boiler, red wheels and brass accents.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts

How about 'Gunpowder River Rail Road'. Gunpowder River is somewhere around York which is near Lancaster. And it ties in with a dog's gaseous indiscretions which, for some dogs, is as loud as some humans. Of course, I also know of dogs that could let loose silent bombs, vile enough to kill an elephant.

Back to the Black Label.

Art

·
Super Moderator
4,961 Posts

When I was doing my TVRR#5 repaint, I was VERY tempted to go with a dark green instead of black for the loco. So, plannished iron boiler jacket (a c. 1870s loco wouldn't have had a painted jacket--few paints could withstand the heat) and green everything else except smokebox and firebox (black, weathered to bring out highlights). Then, letter it with the gold with maroon accents. I don't know that I'd do maroon on the dome bands, but that's just my not-quite-overly-fancy taste.

Later,

K

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good ideas guys!

Art- I like that name, and the implications.  Lucia is more of a 'silent but deadly' type, but she usually gives herself away by suddenly standing up and slinking out of the room.  We have learned to breathe through our mouths under that situation...

Charles- I have a Mantua 4-4-0 with a black boiler and red wheels.  Almost all of my steam engines are black.  Notable exceptions are all LGB Stainz's or Stainz based models (2017D).  While I like the looks of black engines with brass bands, such as the Eureka and Palisade #4 (OK, technically, isn't it brown),  but for this engine, I am thinking more along the lines of a more colorful locomotive.  

Kevin - I added the maroon to the domes thinking it would tie the tender scheme together.  I might skip that and go with the original idea of having black dones, striped with green.  Gold lettering certainly would show up better against the dark green tender.  That's how the Wm Mason is lettered today.

In thinking more about the project,  I may keep the wheels as they are on the painted undecorated model.  If they have striping already on them, I am going to leave that alone and simply repaint the boiler, cab, smoke box/pilot and tender tank. 

Also, I have been doing some research on the old archived forum about these 4-4-0s and all I have found is that these engines were well receieved in 2000-2002 when they were at the height of their popularity.  The loco I am getting is a first run, but has been rewired to 'fix' the polarity issue.  

Keep the ideas coming!

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys,

Per your suggestions, I reworked the Russia Iron scheme to have black drive wheels, green accents, black dome bands, and gold lettering on the tender.  I posted it in the blog, but here it is too.

I think I am getting some good direction here...

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Mark,

A couple possible names could be:

Great Ridge Railroad
Golden Ridge Railroad (slight Lucia reference)
Glacier Ridge RR, perfect route to see an S-2 

Or change Ridge to River.  The list goes on and on.  How about an obscure Mallard reference, Gresley River, Ridge or Run RR.

A few more G towns in your area are Gnatstown, Glenville, Guldens and Goldsboro.

Keep us posted Mark.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts

I like scheme 2..

GRRR..

1) Grand Rapids RR
2) Generally Relaxed RR
3) Greatly Reworked RR (in my case anyway)

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dave,

You've been digging, I see!! 

Now that I have the locomotive, I am hesitating to paint it.  Part of me really wants it green and russia iron.  Part of me says, keep it blue and get the new 4-4-0 from Bachmann...

I like the railroad names!  

Mark

1 - 14 of 14 Posts