G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a P5 into an engine with battery and airwire decoder. I was hooking everything on a bench for a test and the chuff was set to work automatically. I plan to use the reed switches to trigger with magnets, using C2 pins 3 and 4 for the reed switch per the manual had no effect, I tried intermittently touching the wires together to no effect. The P5 was programmed at the ECLSTS for a K-27. How do I get the auto chuff switched to manual triggering? The manual does not cover this point that I can find. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Hi Jon.
You have to get into the program and change the function allocation.
For that you will need the Phoenix programmer.
Pins 3 & 4 are trigger # 1. Pins 1 & 2 are trigger # 2. Leave whichever one you wish to use set to trigger "low".

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Whoever programmed the P5 may have forgotten to turn off the function -"use DCC for speed" It is usually on by default. if on, it will disable the reed sw input This function is in the DCC section of the screens.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
You learn something every day.

So, I take it there are actually three ways to get the chuff.

1. Manual.
2. Auto.
3. DCC.

·
Super Modulator
21,221 Posts
Tony, I think the 2 options are autochuff or triggered (by contacts)..... dcc is not a different mode for the chuff. In your post Tony, 2 & 3 are the same.

Regards, Greg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts