G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The P-2 will have the following improvements over my first diesel:

.21 engine (vs a .15 in the P-1), with 3 times the horsepower of the .15.
Remote Starting from a switch on the transmitter
New Aristocraft trucks with the large 550 motors
Alternator instead of a generator
Electronic switch for direction control instead of mechanical switch
Enhanced fan control using a battery rather than alternator power, and a larger cooling fan
Enhanced fuel system with a header tank.

The components have been tested on the test stand, gearing worked out, and everything fits (barely). I've run the rig on the test stand powering the track and running and Aristocraft GP-40 to test for speed, power, gearing, engine temperatures, and noise. This thing has some power!

Here is a mock-up. Next, cutting aluminum.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Bob,
Can't wait until next Diamondhead to see this running. If it is even close to your last one, it will be a hit. Keep us updated on your progress.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Beautiful work Bob. I was very impressed by your Version 1. This one should be a smash hit at Diamondhead.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Bob,
a very interesting project. With your previous experience this will definitely become a "brute". What alternator and which engine did you use?
Regards

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone! My goal is to have this locomotive completed for Diamondhead - with a matching fiberglass shell in Lake Hall and Highgrove black and tan.

Henner - alternator is from Anaheim Automation, part number BLWR235S-36V-4000. Engine is an OS Max .21TM with Traxxas EZ-Start. I've never been one to keep secrets - the engine does not have the stock slide carburetor. It has a rotary OS Max 11L carburetor. When I asked OS Max tech support if this would work they it should, but had never tried it. Well, it works, and offers better low speed control and easier linkage routing. The alternator has ball bearings and is a bargain at $50. The engine and new carburetor were not a bargain!

Slipped Eccentric - I've never done a wiring diagram, and the only plans I draw will be that of the side elevation of the fiberglass shell. Everything else will be worked out with balsa and cardboard and then transferred to aluminum. I'm sure I could figure out how to do a wiring diagram for you. And I'll include all the part numbers if there is interest.

Finding the right parts is half the battle - and these have all been tested by powering an electric locomotive pulling a 17 pound freight car. What I didn't show in the photo was the 2 other engines I didn't use, the 5 other mufflers, the 2 cooling fans, and 5 sets of gears, two other types of trucks, you get the idea...

Again, thanks everyone for your interest in the project.

Bob

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello Bob,

Your project is very interresting! Im particularily intrigued by the electronic switch for direction control. I assume it is operated directly from a remote control port. Where can I get one? It would be used in my new steam turbine-electric locomotive project.

Regards Werner

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Thank you, Bob. I'll take any info you care to write down. I should be coming across a small engine in the near future and I'd like to try my hand at building one.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Werner - here are two options depending on the volts and amps you need to handle. Both simply plug into the receiver. Do you have any photos of your project?

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/0-TD-RCE220.html
http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/0-TD-RCE225.html

Slipped Eccentric and Werner - feel free to contact me at [email protected] if I can be of assistance.

Here are a couple of videos of the test rig. This is with the old Traxxas engine. The new OS .21TM is a bit smoother. The 'Clown Car' being pulled weighs 17 pounds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdaeuVQaZpo&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdaeuVQaZpo&NR=1

Bob

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello from Tallahassee,
The basic frame is bolted together. It is 31" long. I made a couple of component changes based on testing. I'm going back to the same Aristocraft trucks I used on the previous locomotive (not the new ones with the giant 550 motors). I also found a lower cooling head for the engine (Traxxas 3.3, which works out to .20 Cubic inches).
Surprisingly, the larger engine just lopes along and is actually quieter at speed than the .15 that powers my previous locomotive. Sound levels are the same at idle, but the big engine has the advantage as locomotive speed increases.
The components are just sitting in the chassis. The next step is to mount the engine and alternator. Completing this will be fun (except of course, for sanding the fiberglass body!).

Note low-profile cooing head. It is called a 'Cool Weather' head, made for R/C truck engines when people run them in cold weather/snow.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The P-2 chassis is together and ran for the first time today. I'll just have the chassis for Diamondhead - I'm not going to kill myself like I did last year finishing up the bodies for the first diesel train.

This one will have a streamliner body one day - maybe I can get some suggestions at Diamondhead. Whatever the design, it will be painted to match my existing passenger cars (black and tan).

Anyway, I have a few photos and some low resolution videos (by accident - had camera set wrong).

Bottom line - it worked great!

Re-start:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=W53Hwn-fYdc&feature=channel

High Speed:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk4eM6lAWFk&feature=channel

Stop and start:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LKaXKvtEzmU&feature=channel

Regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
5,629 Posts
Bob: Really looks good and nice to see it up and running. I really liked the first one also. Really will be interesing to see what you come up with for a body. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Bob,

Congratulations! Makes my loco projects seem like soap box derby racers. Now, will you be bringing this one out to the 2009 Sacramento National Summer Steamup?

Steve

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Will this turn into your monster you discussed in your previous post.
http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/forumid/11/tpage/1/view/topic/postid/7530/Default.aspx

" Will there be a class for an A-B unit with 3-axle trucks (for 12 axles total)? Could it compete as an A unit in the 6-axle class and as an A-B unit in the 12 axle class?" :p

Maybe later in 2009 hehe.

(got this funny idea of you showing up to dr rivets place and race that daylight (video here) , not that you would want to do such a dangerous thing lol)

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone!

RJ - I'm not sure what the body shell will look like. I was thinking about a blunt front end like the British Deltics had.

Steve - I've been following your work on the coal-fired Billy - very impressive - and out of my league! I'm not sure if I'll be attending the 2009 Sacramento National Summer Steamup, but I'll warn people if I do.

Jerry - The locomotive mold was the first one I did and I had to completely destroy the mold to sepatate it from the fiberglass shell. I did refine my 'mold release' for the passenger cars and was able to use one mold for all 4 cars. But I always had some repair to do. Anyway, this is an opportunity to do something different. And hopefully meaner looking.

David - This thing has twice the horsepower as my first locomotive. The result is that it is actually quieter! It is about the same at idle and low speed, but significantly quieter at high speed. As a quick test of the electronic switches I did hook it up to a cheap fish scale and gave it full throttle. Nothing blew up and the fish scale read somewhere in the 7-8 pound range.

Andrew - I'm not sure if I'll build that monster, but this one is monster enough! And I need to add more weight (about 3 pounds) to get it balanced since the alternator is offset to one side. And the body will add about a pound.

Take care,
Bob

·
Premium Member
5,629 Posts
I'll say one thing Bob that is one fast moving loco. Maybe use in the North east corridor
Later RJD

·
Registered
620 Posts
" Will there be a class for an A-B unit with 3-axle trucks (for 12 axles total)? Could it compete as an A unit in the 6-axle class and as an A-B unit in the 12 axle class?" :p

Just remember any locomotive that has won an award in the DH Drawbar Pull competition is eliminated from any further awards.

The loco can pull again but will not be considered for one of the prestigious awards given out by Jerry!

Also, Bob promised he wouldn't break any of my equipment trying!

1 - 20 of 99 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.