G Scale Model Train Forum banner

Ozark Castings Melting Point?

6K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  Dan Pierce 
#1 ·
Does anyone know at what temperature the white metal used by Ozark will begin to deform/melt?

Thanks!

#3 ·
I don't think so.
All the stuff I have in bags is soft.
Pot Metal is brittle.
Maybe mine is just old technology stuff.
If I recall, it melted sooner than solder.

If they went with pot metal, great!

#5 ·
Larry Heggert won't tell you. Proprietary information. You could call the folks at Ozark and ask them.You cannot use it near a heat source like live steam. I know it is fairly low since I have remelted some broken parts and spures to make some of my own castings. It isn't pewter, but in that neighborhood.
N

#10 ·
Posted By Dwight Ennis on 12/17/2008 8:05 AM
I'm asking the question because I'm going to need to bake some paint, and I don't want the coupler pocket to melt. I found this table[/b][/b] which lists several alloys, the lowest of which melts at 140*C. I need to bake the paint at 175*F.

Well...I can't imagine any metal melting at 175*F...or even getting soft. ****, if you cook meat at that temperature, you'll need a LOT of BBQ sauce...and a lot of time...cause ribs are the only thing I know that respond to such low heat.

Why don't you test one Ozark coupler pocket in your oven if you're still concerned..or boil one. I gotta believe that the metal on a live steam loco gets up to that 175*F temperature range anywhere around the boiler...and much higher around the firebox and smokebox. If you have one of those IR thermometer [e.g. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93984 ] why don't you measure the temperature on the various parts of the engine the next time you run it.

#11 ·
Guys,

Try this website for information on metals and their melting points.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood's_metal

There is a metal called Wood's metal that melts at 158 degree F . It is also known as Cerrobend and has been used for casting parts for O Scale and HO Scale model train use for years. You could melt this product in boiling water and yes it has been done. I have some on hand now for project .

Charles M SA # 74

#14 ·
I would have thought it was some sort of tin/lead alloy since they are the cheapest???? Most Bismuth alloys like cerro are expensive!!! Generally speaking most tin/lead alloys have a melting point of about 475 deg F. I cast in lead free Britannia (92 tin -7.5 antimony-.5 copper) which can be soldered with low melt solder like "TIX".

BTW, monikers like "Pot Metal" and "Pewter" are pretty general.

Jack

#15 ·
Richard, so long as the steam pipe doesn't actually touch the casting, you'll be fine. I've got an Ozark number plate on the smokebox of one of my steamers. It's a pot boiler, so the smokebox doesn't get near as hot as on a butane-fired loco, but it's held up nicely. Roundhouse uses a fair amount of some kind of white metal castings on their steamers. I've also used plastic and other things that many would say you shouldn't use with live steam. (Heck, look at Aristo's steamers!) So long as they're not in contact with the major heat sources (boiler, smokebox, cylinders) you should be fine.

Later,

K

#21 ·
Dwight,

A small amount of lead is common and is pewter though he probably refered to it by a propriatary name. I have been told lead is now supposed to be banned from consumer products in California and EU countries which is why I use unleaded "Britania metal". I wish I could use lead containing pewter because it is much easier to cast.

I have used heat lamps to "bake" paint on my castings without problems. More likely to burn paint than to melt the casting! Good luck with your project!!!

Jack

#22 ·
Dwight,
If you can contact Mike Gorsich,he might know. We both had conversations with Dave at Ozark about his new caboose trucks. Mike is a machinist and gets very detailed about his modifications. He quoted me a melting temp that came right from Dave but of course I didn't pay attentoion.

#23 ·
Dave from Ozark Miniatures

Dont get much of a chance to log in. As far as the metal we use is concerned it is a fine pewter. Pewter soften significantly at around 375 to 400 degress . Becomes truly melted at 500+ doesent really cast until 600+

As far as soldering. Most irons ar too hot and the solder used requires too much heat. There is a solder I sed to sell that can solder with the small heat of a match. I have a new metal that we are using for the guys in 1, 1.5 and 3in scales It is extremly brittle and very unforgiving. But can be soldered easier although the melting temp is only 100 more degress.

#24 ·
Apologies in advance for resurrecting an old thread. But i had to share something.
Recently I was soldering at "medium" setting (im guessing between 400 and 600 degrees) on my iron and soldering on one of Ozark's Harp switches.. The metal just "Went away" it literally melted onto my soldering iron. I had to turn the heat down to the very lowest setting and even then,, had to be quick about it. the melting point of the harp switches i received was only slightly above that of the solder i was using. Maybe i got a bad one? I actually had to replace, rebuild and shape the melted, missing material using solder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.