G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently finished installing the 1/2" oversize,(original are 3/8") Ruby cylinders I had gotten from Royce at Quisenberry Station. Naturally I accessed the Dave Hottmann "Ruby tune up", previous posting to finish it up! Wow, what a difference they made. My IDA took right off with 6 cars & then the same with 12! Also it runs real slow now, which is what I was, really, looking for!!! Now all I have to do is R.C. it. Thanks again Royce! Jim Spanier

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Great to hear that you are one of the few that have those cylinders. It was a short production run of just 25 sets. I spoke to Royce today and he said he just has a couple sets left.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jason; yeah they're great. The machining is awesome! Given the Ruby line is just an entry level loco, but I for one am not satisfied with it running around trackage at warp speed! I had talked to Charles B. in the past & he suggested them & also Cliff at Accucraft did. Royce said that when his supply ran out there would be no more! Jim S.

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
Wow, whats the secret to getting those cylinders? /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sad.gif

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
Royce,
Sorry, I've been very busy the last few days,,,, too busy to check the forum,,,, as you already know, I did get your message, and I am looking forward to getting the cylinders.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Guys.

I'm just new to this forum. I have been reading your posts for a while.
I have a Ruby as well. I built from a kit. It runs well but I would like it to go slower.

I would like to know if the oversize cylinders are still available?
I sent an email to Quisenberry, but have not yet had a reply.

As I live in New Zealand it is a bit difficult to phone.
Could someone post a reply if they have the latest details on availability.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Hello Royce.
I too have tryed to reach you by E-mail,and phone,
everytime I call,the voice mailbox is full.
I would like to buy a set of Oversize Ruby cylinders.
Can you please get back to me?

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
Royce,
I tried emailing you. The cylinders have not come yet (I believe you said Thurs or Fri at least thats what your email says). Can I get a tracking number to see if this order has been lost in shipping. I wouldn't have posted this in an open forum, but when I read the two posts above I am concerned that your email might not be working.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Pretty good that they are back at a reasonable price...They were well over 200.00 at one point. I notice that the rear cylinder head is a single piece though. The ones that were produced for Quisenberry Station have the current Accucraft design with ha 2 piece design and a O-Ring for a seal. Eventually the o piece wears out link on mine and a few other that I know of. You then just deal with steam and water leaking from the rod. Another note on the cylinders is Royces are 1/2" as the smaller boilers do not have the capacity to run 9/16" ones as well during testing. Unless of course you want to drag race...

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Might check archive for Dave Hottmann's Ruby cylinder work. Been awhile but I seem to remember he kept going until he finally got to 3/4. That proved a little too much so back to 5/8. Pulled like a GS4 ;-)) There are pics with something like 30+ freights. 'Course his Ruby weights in at around 25# with all the lead he put in the side tanks, etc. His was a serial, seemed every couple of weeks Dave had done it again, ...made bigger again and again. Gee I miss the good old days on MLS.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
I think he put 7/8" cylinders in the mogul...I wouldn't mind doing some larger cylinders in mine as the dam cylinder assembly is a huge heatsink. Onlu drawback to larger is loss of supplies of steam, water and most importantly fuel to keep the steam producing at a faster rate.

On my friends Ruby that I put a set of 1/2" cylinders on I loaded the safety spring to 60-70 lbs. That way it does not waste any steam. Maybe someday soon there will be a thread on my Mogul changes..For now Im completing the K28 changes and paint touchups. Completing the Porter masterclass in steam them onto something else. Maybe a Dewinton scratchbuild to put my new lathe to good use.

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
Posted By rodblakeman on 10/25/2008 3:54 PM

MIlton Locomotive works in the UK is again taking orders for oversize Ruby cylinders, and as Sterling has dropped way down against the Dollar they should be a good purchase for you guys now ??. email Paul Smith at his web site...

http://www.rhhfranks.co.uk/sm32 website/frameset-1.htm

Looks like I missed that deal. I checked the site and they are not there either. I never got mine from Royce, and I'm looking for anyone else that sells them, but I'm a little concerned about this, are these still the same cylinders with the steam chest that looks smaller than the cylindre? Or are they just over sized?

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Posted By rkapuaala on 10/26/2008 10:27 AM
Posted By rodblakeman on 10/25/2008 3:54 PM

MIlton Locomotive works in the UK is again taking orders for oversize Ruby cylinders, and as Sterling has dropped way down against the Dollar they should be a good purchase for you guys now ??. email Paul Smith at his web site...

http://www.rhhfranks.co.uk/sm32 website/frameset-1.htm

Looks like I missed that deal. I checked the site and they are not there either. I never got mine from Royce, and I'm looking for anyone else that sells them, but I'm a little concerned about this, are these still the same cylinders with the steam chest that looks smaller than the cylindre? Or are they just over sized?

email Milton's and ask them about their cylinders. At least you might get on their wait list. Web sites of small co's usually lag by quite a bit of time when it comes to getting updated.

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
Say,
Does anyone have pics of these cylinders? I'd like to make sure they still look like the ones I was suppose to get last year. Royce swears he will mail them to me this Thurs, but I don't want them if they are just a larger version of the cylinders that come with the kit.

·
1st Class Pirate
707 Posts
Hi Richard,
Here is a picture of the cylinders I got from Royce while building my Ruby-Mason Bogie. I could not be happier with them.

Hope this helps.
redbeard AKA Larry Newman SA #1956

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
Bummer man, I guess I will have to cancel the order. The ones I was shown last year had a small steam chest on top of large cylinders, and more of a prototypical look. Thanks for the pic Larry.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts