G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built this little guy when I was 14 or 15 years old (I'm 33 now). I've touched up the paint now and again but it's gotten pretty bad. No time like the present. Time for a tear down!

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Part way through the disassembly. If you can believe it, I developed this independent of the BAGRS project locomotive. That is to say I had no knowledge that there was another 0-4-0 project locomotive using the Midwest steam engine/boiler kit and a chain drive.

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The engineer was made of white clay and fired in the kilns of my high school. To remove him from the deck plate I heated the plate from the underside. I think he was held on with 5 min epoxy but it's impossible to know considering how old it is.

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Despite the size of the pile, I promise there's not much to this thing. I took this photo before parting the engineer from the deck plate.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
It warms my heart, seeing your teenage build!:)

I was so happy when last year, I found a brass flatcar that I built when I was 13-14 years old. I'm 57 now. At the time, no large scale trains were sold in Sweden, except for the Aster Schools class and Reno. Just finding a wheelset was a true mission! I finally found two LGB axles, and the wheel flanges had to be turned down, to run on the little Märklin track I had. Starting in large scale trains, was very much an upp-hill experience at the time! Learned a lot about casting, lathes and all sorts of other things, since there was nothing to buy.

The wagon had been missing for 35 years, and I had given up hope ever finding it again. But now it's running. However, I'm uncertain if I should replace the couplings, and fixing another detail that has always annoyed me. And I never painted the brass. I think I should do that now.

Will you be doing any modifications, or just clean and repaint?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The parts after a couple of hours in the bath and some time with the wire brush. There aren't a lot of critical surfaces so I don't need to be too careful. They're mostly clean but I'll let them soak a bit more. Acetone is toxic and can be absorbed through skin contact. Wear gloves and have more nearby as they won't last long.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Acetone isn't quite so bad on the skin. It used to be I had problems buying acetone without oil having been added, since it was sold as nailpolish-remover. Since pure acetone will dry out yor skin, oil was added. This of course made the stuff unusable for my purposes. So I couldn't source my mothers supply. I had to buy my own bottles. 😄 Then again, avoiding contact and breathing the stuff, is of course preferrable.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting, I did some searching and I guess you're right. Anyway, all the parts are clean now. Any paint still stuck from being burned on will be painted over.

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Marking the solder locations for the feet and soldering them in place. Getting them soldered in just the right place was just as touchy as I remember from the first time (this is why the holes had to be drilled so weirdly). Thankfully I'm more practiced now.

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Marking and drilling the mounting holes. I think I did a better job this time. This process is consistent with the tooling available to me when I first built this. I didn't have a lathe or a mill but I did have a belt sander, drill press, dial height gauge and a small surface plate. The last picture is the first selection of parts I need for the re-assembly being primed for paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Top coat added to the first set of parts. Later I decided the cranks and side rods were necessary to the first set also.

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For this part allow me to gloss over the fact that the real 1:1 locomotives did not have link and pin couplers.

The couplers have too many pockets and the mounting holes were left unfilled by fasteners. Before and after.

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, ok... I know what you're thinking: Hey this is just a re-paint! While I won't disagree, let's take a look at the single cylinder oscillating engine to get an idea of the state of things.

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The greatest area of wear in in the crank pin, more on this later. While all motion joints of the locomotive have wear, it's not as much as you might think with the least amount exhibited at the fit between the axles with the axle bushings.

Overall, the oscillating steam engine has it the worst. After the crank pin, the fit between the drive shaft and the frame of the steam engine is second worst. The fit between the piston and cylinder is surprisingly good though.

That said, these wear locations aren't really fixable. If there were more material cast into the frame of the steam engine, I could drill out the drive shaft hole and press in a new bushing with something similar being done to the crank pin.

No, the only way to amend the wear would be to build anew, but why bother? For now it still runs. I'll build a new single cylinder oscillator once this one is completely finished.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I have been using Lacquer Thinner for cleaning. It contains Acetone but is easier on the hands and does not evaporate as quickly.
There are different grades of thinner Finishing and Wash. The Wash is a bit harsher and cheaper and better for cleaning. The finishing thinner allows the lacquer paint to dry slower thus giving it a better sheen.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts