G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Next was to suspend the trestle and the entire RR with my trusty assistant (ladder& clamps)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only a small portion of my layout is solidly secured all the rest is suspended 7'-1/2' above the floor from my vaulted ceiling w/150lb test fishing line suprisingly there is no swaying or movement as the train Rolls @ a good clip.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
RE: Over & Above R.R.

Nice work!

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Is there a bridge amongst those interesting photos on the walls?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Posted By Madman on 09/27/2008 4:20 PM
Is there a bridge amongst those interesting photos on the walls?

I'm glad to know that the RR doesn't detract and overpower!!!!

The RR should have gone up first before the walls were spoken for. I was going to do a shelf around the walls but changed my mind about removing the photos to make room that is why it got hung in the center instead.It's Always a compromise.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have 9 cars running behind the loco and intend on adding a tenth car,the layout is holding up well no problems with the design I added the coke is it! reefer(LGB) and another Miller beer car an Anheuser Busch(USAT) I just might have to go with a Watts Jack Daniels to go with the coke reefer A nice mix

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
RE: Over & Above R.R.

Do not forget to get the El Producto cars, and a COKE caboose and engine.

After the caboose, add the Starbucks coffee car!!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Posted By Dan Pierce on 03/15/2009 6:08 AM
Do not forget to get the El Producto cars, and a COKE caboose and engine.

After the caboose, add the Starbucks coffee car!!!

Dan,
Ya know it's kind of funny,when they started this kick about banning all the advertisments of tobacco,alcohol because it was making an impression on our youth and basically targeting the youth for future generations of consumers such as Joe camel,Winston cup and the list goes on.I'm 53 years old and I don't think it really made that much of an impression on me!!! Ya think?
It's also a theme in my nascar collection only own booze and tobacco themes. I like your thinking for some of the other cars maybe I'll also need next a hangover relief product cars!!!!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello,
If anybody has been wondering The M&M Diner's Over & above R.R. has been running without a hitch for well over a year, the planning and building started in June 2008,and the Railroad was operational as of Sept.2008. I have had no problems with the system of hanging by using fishing line,the design is holding up well,I,m still running a 9 car consist& loco all with hook & loop couplers and pastic wheel sets.I'm in the process of removing all rolling stock to clean wheels and lube axles and also clean the track to remove black buildup I believe left by the loco's oily lubrication.This being done as just a general maintanince procedure since no noticable affects have taken place.I have been using an MRC 20 walkaround transformer and throttle which has handled it's duties also without a hiccup.Since January 1,2010 we've had fairly cold temps for over 2 weeks,the temps in the house were anywhere from 60-70 degrees,since heat pumps are worthless when temps stay below 40 for a long stretch and never achive what I'd call cozy,I'm assuming those temps never really affected,expansion or contraction of the brass track,since everthing kept running fine...And now since I've bragged about no problems,I will knock on wood,spin around 3 times,click my heals together,and throw salt over my left shoulder. That should work????

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
The black junk coming of the track is due to operating with plastic wheels. You might want to think about replacing them with metal wheels and eliminate having to clean the track as much or your loco wheels. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Hey ROUTE66.....nice work. What I can't see from your photos is the connection methods your used at the wire shelving and at the ceiling. Do you used good old fashioned fisherman's knots on the fishing line or what?? Is the fishing line a monofiliment or a braided Dacron? And finally at the ceiling, did you use screw eyes into the ceiling rafters?
Again, a great overhead RxR.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Hey,

Nice work! Couldn't you have constructed the bridge using clear plexiglass so we wouldn't have an obstructed view of poor Betty?!

Mark

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Posted By aceinspp on 19 Jan 2010 11:35 AM
"The black junk coming of the track is due to operating with plastic wheels. You might want to think about replacing them with metal wheels and eliminate having to clean the track as much or your loco wheels". Later RJ

Aceinspp,
Thanks for the info I'll have to do the maintanance since the plastic wheels keep the noise levels down otherwise I would switch to metal.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Posted By maculsay on 19 Jan 2010 02:15 PM
Hey ROUTE66.....nice work. What I can't see from your photos is the connection methods your used at the wire shelving and at the ceiling. Do you used good old fashioned fisherman's knots on the fishing line or what?? Is the fishing line a monofiliment or a braided Dacron? And finally at the ceiling, did you use screw eyes into the ceiling rafters?
Again, a great overhead RxR.

Hi Maculsay,
I used monofiliment line,attaching to the shelf I tied the best fisherman knot and super-glued the ends of the knot for added protection at the ceiling I had on hand sheet-rock toggle bolts and also screw eyes just incase I happened to hit wood!!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The fishing line end that went to the toggle bolts in the ceiling were used as adjustments by holding the line taught and wrapping around the bolt shaft than tighting so the fender washer pinches the line against the ceiling which holds the shelf in place and makes it eaiser to adjust all lines evenly when hung.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Nice layout and construction!

What brand and model is your red caboose?

It fits well with your reefer cars.

Thanks, Alan

1 - 20 of 41 Posts